Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

have you done this?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

I don't know if you'd consider this a game so for now the general chat seems the place for this :thumbsup:
So we did A couple calcs at my work today to figure out how much our commercial inks cost per gallon, and the results were rather stunning..

So I started to look into personal printer cartridges and was even more shocked so if you want to try this out and see if you aren't stunned yourself.

Take a look at your printer cartridges and see if you can find the rating for how many ml's it contains.

Now there are about 3785.41 ml's in one US gallon, so divide your cartridges ml's into that number.

Then multiply the average cost of a cartridge into the number you just got and see if you aren't stunned by the cost per gallon of the ink.

For even more fun if you use online prices those are cheaper, try and take an off the shelf cartridge from your local retailer and compare that.

Post back your results with makes and models of cartridges.. :flowers:
I'll share mine after a few people have posted back.

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

Why does it feel like BP won't look so bad after this experiment. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

I have a HP 21 black
I always try and find ther 10 ml cartridge (hard to find)

Usually ...like now I have a 5ml Cost is $15.00 U.S.

If I did the math right I am paying

drum roll please

please sit down
$1,135.50 per gallon

suddenly gas prices don't seem so bad

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

Let's see...

HP Designjet 510 42" Printer - HP / Hewlett-Packard 82 Ink Cartridge (Black, 69 ml) @ $ 32.50

3785.41/69= 54.86

54.86 X $32.50 = $1782.95

WOW

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

Wow... Looks like it could be time to buy a 1000 shares of DIC Corp.

Stop complaining, you guys are getting a bargain caompared to this guys numbers. Plus they are from 2006. :thumbsup:

“Currently, HP’s Magenta ink for its Photosmart 8200 series sells for $9.99 at most stores along with the required Y, Lc, Lm, B, and C inks at the same price. However, HP only puts 3.5ml in the M cartridge, 4ml in the C, 5.5ml in the Lc and Lm, and 6ml in the Y. … There are 3,785 ml in a gallon, making the final price for magenta ink an astronomical $10,788/gal!”

What’s The Price Of Printer Ink?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

I finally calculated the number of angels that could dance on the head of a pin. But alas, I forgot the answer.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#7 Barajiqal

Barajiqal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

Here at my job we are a screen printing factory making labels and such for many different applications. We have hundered of different inks randging in price from a few hundered dollars a gallon, to some of the scented/glow in the darks inks costing us about $1750 a gallon. I was kind of shocked to see that off the shelf "average" ink was more expensive then most of the inks we have.

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

I finally calculated the number of angels that could dance on the head of a pin. But alas, I forgot the answer.

It is seven times seven times seven! 343 :thumbsup:

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#9 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:04 AM

Nearly all of my printing is still Black and White. I use my ancient HP 540. The nicest aspect -- it is absolutely incredibly easy to refill the cartridge! New ones used to cost about $25, back when I could still find them. Refilling costs less than a dollar (these cartridges don't have a tattle-tale chip that stops everything if it thinks it has been refilled).

I could refill the three-color cartridges, but I don't bother. The 540 is fine for business graphics and illustration, but it's not a really great color printer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users