Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home network problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Biggre

Biggre

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

I'm having some trouble getting my Linkysys WRT54G V5. to connect to the web. It had been working for my family up until about a week and a half ago when our ISP shut down our internet for having "too much traffic" and told us we had a computer on our network that was infected with some kind malicious spambot. Once we called support and had our internet reactivated our router has been unable to connect to the internet. We can plug the modem directly into the main computer and one of our laptops and get internet access but once plugged into the router we get no access wirelessly or from hard wired from one of the ports but we can connect to the Linkysys network and access shared files. If anyone has any suggestions as to what could possibly be the problem I'd highly appreciate any input. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

What troubleshooting steps have you undergoing with the Linksys router? Please specify also the following information.

ISP :
Type of connection : DSL, Cable or Satellite :
Modem make and model :
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

In addition to Kennzsniper's info request, try a traceroute (tracert in windows) to google.com or some such. How many "hops" do you see ? Any errors ?

Did you find and clean the malware ?

#4 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

You have a dynamic IP address right? In that case, what probably happened was that when you were cut off, your former address was reallocated to another customer so that when you were reconnected, you had a new one. Did you try unplugging the router for a bit so that it can pick up the new address when it is plugged back in? Though to be honest, it should have picked it up anyway, so the old address may have been configured manually in the router.

Plug a computer directly into the router and see if you can access its configuration page (itís usually http://192.168.0.1/). If you can, then look for a place to configure the routerís IP address (consider letting it detect it automatically from the cable modem). If you cannot access the routerís built-in web-server, then look for a reset button (or more likely hole) on the router.

If you have a static IP, check with your ISP to see if it got changed.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

To go along with what has already been suggested, you should also call your ISP and see if they ban MAC addresses from their network due to the virus/bot problem.

#6 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Actually, the OP probably doesnít even have to deal with their ISP if the MAC address is changed because they are using a router, so they can just change its MAC address.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users