Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix help and Google Redirect

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ThePicardManeuver

ThePicardManeuver

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hello, BC! I'm having a pretty serious issue here. I'm apparently infected with the notorious Google Redirect Virus. I have used several different types of antivirus, malware and spyware removal programs but I just can't seem to fix this issue. Here are my symptoms:

First, only Firefox, my main browser, seems to be affected. Internet Explorer works just fine. Second, while using Firefox, about 50% of the links I click redirect me to several random web pages, which don't load entirely, before finally redirecting me to a page which Windows Defender blocks, saying that it is a known threat site...whether this is the real Windows Defender or another form of spyware, I can't tell. Finally, every so often i get a Windows Notification box that pops up and says "the host client has stopped working".

The tools i've used thus far are Spybot S&D, Avast! Antivirus and Malwarebytes Antimalware. They are all updated and run fine, but they find nothing. I've also tried reinstalling Firefox.

My question is, I've read a lot about Combofix, but I've also read that it is dangerous to use for someone who is inexperienced with it. I am hoping that someone may be kind enough to walk me through the use of Combofix and/or the removal of this Google Redirect Virus. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ThePicardManeuver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThePicardManeuver

ThePicardManeuver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

UPDATE: i've ran combofix, Radix and other rootkit tools. they CRASH my computer while using them!

Edited by Budapest, 09 August 2010 - 08:23 PM.
Moved from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods ~BP

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

Hello, having run it you now must post it;s log in a new topic.
Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip Gmer and post the ComboFix log.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 ThePicardManeuver

ThePicardManeuver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

Hello, having run it you now must post it;s log in a new topic.
Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip Gmer and post the ComboFix log.
Let me know if that went well.

please refer to my seconds comment. combofix, along with everything else, crashes mid scan. there is no log.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

Then just post the DDS log
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 ThePicardManeuver

ThePicardManeuver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:07 AM

Then just post the DDS log

the reason for me posting in this forum, and not the one you suggested, is that i do not know how to use combofix properly. i ran it, it crashed my computer...there were no logs.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

Do you now have a non booting PC? We can help with that.

This is the only info We can provide on CF
ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users