Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless very slow on only one of two computers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 p0ppea

p0ppea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

The wireless speed on my laptop slowed down really suddenly a few days ago, and I can't figure out what's wrong. My boyfriend's laptop connects to the same wireless connection without any problem.

Here's a comparison of our speedtest.net results when I put our computers the same distance from the wireless router:
me: ping = 22 ms; download = 0.74 Mb/s; upload = 0.39 Mb/s
him: ping = 13 ms; download = 10.83 Mb/s; upload = 5.50 Mb/s

My internet works fine when I use the ethernet cable, whether i connect it directly to the modem or connect it to the router.

I've tried updating the driver for the wireless card, but that didn't seem to have any effect. I also ran the Lenovo system toolbox and used it to test my wireless card, but it didn't find a problem.

My card is the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965 AGN, and I'm using a D-Link router. I've had this same router, wireless card, and operating system for the last 2 years and never had any connection problems before.

The problem first started around the time Microsoft Security Essentials detected and removed a Trojan on my computer, but it removed the Trojan a few days ago and MSE hasn't found anything since then. I'm also not sure if there's even a relationship between the Trojan and the slow internet-- before the Trojan was removed, my whole computer was running slowly. Now, the computer is generally running at a normal speed, but it's just the wireless that's slow.

I'm really confused about what the problem could be, and whether it's in any way connected to MSE or the malware (but the slow internet persists in safe mode as well). Any help figuring out what's wrong would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 APForever

APForever

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

If all conditions are the same as before the slow internet then you may need to repost this in the malware forum. There are tons of different malware/spyware that slows down your internet connection. I removed some spyware named "Market something something" (that would relay your PC info to multiple ad sites) awhile ago that improved my connection noticeably. Also, if there were additional electronic products located by your PC, the extra EMS (Electromagnetic Signal) coming off of the items if powered on, could have an adverse affect on your connection.

Over a period of time hardware wears down too, nothing lasts forever.

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

Try deleting your wireless adapter in the device manager and reboot. Windows will detect and re-add the device. Often when malware or firewalls are removed it corrupts the network stack. This is the simplest way to correct it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users