Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I crazy??(Old Computers)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 SoftwareGuy

SoftwareGuy

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

Ok, so I got a Packard Bell Computer not too long ago running windows 98se, and an Artex(anyone ever hear of that name before?), running Windows 95. Anyone think that is nuts?? Before any of you ask, yes, I do have a high end gaming desktop running windows xp, but am I crazy for having those computers that are so old?? I like to work on computers(upgrade what I can), and that's why I have those. I also have a dell xps from 1999 running windows 2,000 which I may add runs pretty smooth. Lemme know what you all think. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

You most likely wont get very far with the to older ones as they will be quite slow, but the dell XPS might be a good one to try and upgrade the ram and such and see what happens. :thumbsup:

Edited by computerxpds, 09 August 2010 - 01:58 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 SoftwareGuy

SoftwareGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

computerxpds, yes, the dell is a rock solid machine, as far as I am conserned. I got the game Max Payne to run on it, a few weeks ago, even with a 16mb graphics card installed,lol.

Edited by SoftwareGuy, 09 August 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

Nice! Yeah I have seen a few really old machines that I have worked on and one in particular was a sony viao and I mean this thing was OLD but I was still able to install windows xp on it and it ran fine it even had support for all of it drivers built into windows!
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

Personally I like the older stuff
Things were so much simpler!
Plus it makes me nostalgic
I still see Windows 3.1 every once in a while!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

Don't think your crazy at all.

I actually recently dug out a *very* old machine and slapped 98 on it for a lady who wanted to play one of the older Might and Magic games and couldn't get it to run on XP.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

I have to jump on the band wagon here with everyone else.

I have an old winbook which has Windows 95 4.00 950 B

I still own the Windows 95 B cd.

I still have my origional Wndows 98 first edition cd and the Win 98 Second edition cd in my collection. (Both disks are in prestine condition)

I still have my Windows ME upgrade disk.

I do not think you're crazy, what's crazy is me still playing around with an old Commodore 64 computer/game console that still works flawlessly.

Now that's crazy! :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Starkey

Starkey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

My Compaq was running 98 before I upgraded it to XP; had just over 128MB of RAM (still don't know why)
plus integrated Trident graphics.

I actually had Unreal Tournament running on it, but those graphics wouldn't allow for much else; couldn't even run Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy II, it stuttered through the opening videos.

But, it was pretty good, and I did most of my writing on it, until I disassembled it to make room for my IBM ThinkCentre.
Which is still pretty old, compared to today's standards, as it has an old Celeron in it, at 2.4, I think.

#9 SoftwareGuy

SoftwareGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

Hey again, everyone
Thanks for the responses. Just thought I'd post a few pics of all the Computers I have. Let me know what you all think. Posted Image

From Right to left:A Dell xpst500 from 1999. No operating system as of right now, although I plan on putting windows 2000 on it sooner or later. Specs: Pentinum 3 Processor 10gb hard drive(Plan to upgrade to a 40). 384Mb Of Ram(can be upgraded to 768Mb Of Ram). 16Mb Voodoo Banshee videocard(don't know if it has sli mode or not, I know some of these cards did). Packard Bell Multimedia Computer. Running Windows 98se. When I got it, it has badly infected with viruses, so I just wiped the drive, and started from scratch. It has a 1Mb Cirrus Logic Videocard. Not too sure of anything else. Next to that(top level) is a Hewlett Packard Business computer from either 2000 or 2001. Has no operating system as of right now, but can run windows xp. Has a 40gb hard drive, and a 64mb Geforce Videocard. Under the HP, Is an old IBM Computer that does not work. Someone gave that to me in hopes that I could do something with it, but I cannot. Not even sure of the year. On the left is an Artex Computer I got running Windows 95. Won't go past the boot screen. This Computer was the first I got to hook up to the Net. Anyway, hope you all liked this. Also here's another pic of My set up.

Posted Image

Edited by SoftwareGuy, 16 August 2010 - 03:42 PM.

#10 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

Actually, as a collector of vintage computers, the systems mentioned thus far in this thread don't qualify as old. Anything with a 386 or newer processor doesn't qualify as "vintage". I have Z80, 8088 and 80286 based systems in my collection that are working computers that use DOS as their OS. My oldest is a TRS-80 Model I from 1979.

Of course I have newer computers as well (I've got more than I know what to do with).

To answer the OP's question, nope you're not crazy!
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#11 SoftwareGuy

SoftwareGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah, the Dell and Hewlett Packard business computer are the most stable ones I have right now. The laptop you see sitting on the desk is a piece of Junk. It overheats alot(have to keep it on a cooling pad all the time). It still works, however. The black computer in the picture is a Custom built Gaming Computer from two years ago. Need to upgrade the videocard however. How many computers do you have? you said you had newer stuff? Anyways, reply if you want.

#12 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

I have 20 machines in my "vintage" collection, which is quite small compared to other collectors I know of. I also have 10 "modern" computers that have 386 or newer processors.

My experience with laptops that overheat is that they need to be disassembled and the fan housing/heatsink need to be cleaned of dust and lint.

#13 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

I'll put in a plug for "serious" applications. Anything from 386 on can do a very good job running one of the MS-DOS or DR-DOS operating systems and running Quattro Pro, a good word processor, etc.

As far as games go, I still have my old VIC-20 with a basket of cartridge games. It looks great on an LCD TV! :thumbsup:

#14 scherrypoppa

scherrypoppa

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

my mother in law got this super old weird looking lap top in her shed. it looks like it has a 10 inch screen and runs on win 95 or 98. it still works!!! it has a floppy disk drive even but no usb ports or network adapter.

its yours for 200 bucks! will be glad to email some pictures.

#15 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

If you're serious about selling that laptop, the first info you need to provide is the make & model of it. I seriously doubt a laptop running win98 or win95 is worth $200 though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users