Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

comodo firewall DNS configuration

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dandavie

dandavie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

hi, this may be an obvious question, but i am in the process of setting up comodos free firewall and it is asking me if i want to use comodo secure DNS servers. it says doing this will safer, faster internet and it will change my computers primary and secondary DNS settings to 156.154.70.22 , 156.154.71.22. i just wanted to know what effects this change would have and if it is a good idea.
thanks.
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

I find Comodo difficult to tinker with in the event of issues. I found it easier to stay with the router settings.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

DNS servers convert the readable domain names (like www.yahoo.com) into IP address numbers (like 72.30.2.43). This is needed for using the internet. Secure DNS servers block the malicious sites at the DNS level. They also detect if you are infected with some bot malware (like Zeus) by looking at your DNS requests.

Personally, I have never used Comodo DNS servers but I have used others like Norton DNS and OpenDNS.

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:33 AM

This video review may help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5846w2a4oio...feature=recentu
James

#5 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:56 AM

hi, this may be an obvious question, but i am in the process of setting up comodos free firewall and it is asking me if i want to use comodo secure DNS servers. it says doing this will safer, faster internet and it will change my computers primary and secondary DNS settings to 156.154.70.22 , 156.154.71.22. i just wanted to know what effects this change would have and if it is a good idea.
thanks.
Dan

As long as you are going through a major ISP you shouldn't worry. If you used Bob's Internet Company for an ISP? I would use a different DNS server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users