Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Damaged Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

I would like to share a solution with anybody that may find them selves in a similar situation. It probably won't work in the majority of cases, but if it helps someone from having to buy a new HDD, (even tho they are pretty inexpensive these days.), then good. :flowers:

I had someone bring me their less than a year old HP Entertainment PC laptop, that would constantly hang on them.
Long story short... I was able to determine the hard drive was damaged/scratched from the laptop being dropped.
I was also able to determine it was scratched at the beginning of the drive. So I partitioned about 20GB of the 500GB HDD at the beginning and left empty and labeled as "bad?". Then created 2 more partitions after that and was able to install both Windows 7 and Linux on the other 2 partitions.

Everything seems to be working along just fine now. Nothing is written on the bad part of the drive. You can hear it click during POST like it was doing before all the time, but once the OS loads, it is quiet and smooth running.

Just wanted to share... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for sharing!

As long as those heads and servo hold up, I suppose this trick can hold up for a bit. But I have seen a Maxtor hard drive totally fail over a bad head that was damaged from crashing into the platter.

Once those heads fail and fall apart, they can make a nasty grinding noise almost like putting bolts in a blender and turning it on!

Good luck and hope it gives continued performance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

That is cool and yes thanks for sharing that. But I wouldn't rely on it as a permanent solution.

But I have seen a Maxtor hard drive totally fail over a bad head that was damaged from crashing into the platter.
Once those heads fail and fall apart, they can make a nasty grinding noise almost like putting bolts in a blender and turning it on!

Yeah I have actually made that happen just to do it. :thumbsup: It was really loud! :flowers:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 Klick8986

Klick8986

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

A very ingenious work around

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hmmm...I've done the same thing on one hard drive where I could pinpoint the damage to a given portion of the drive...but I would not expect that to work on most drives.

It all depends on the nature of the problem with the drive...some types of damaga cannot be worked around.

Louis

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

Yeah... I'm not expecting it to be a permanent solution. Works great now, but I still have a new HDD ordered and on its way. The guy I was fixing the laptop for decided he would rather sell it than fix it, so I bought it from him. :flowers:

Yeah I have actually made that happen just to do it. It was really loud!

What... the bolt in the blender? haha :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users