Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Specified module cannot be found

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TahoeSands

TahoeSands

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

Hi Everyone,

I rebooted my Window 7 machine yesterday and on restart, I got that old message "Specified module cannot be found" about a DLL named "nlpchulp.dll". I ran HijackThis to see if I could find out more about it but I didn't get much.

Here is what I got from the startup file...
Yfunofikahasafox = rundll32.exe "C:\Users\William\AppData\Local\Nlpchulp.dll",Startup
And here is what I got from the AnalyzeThis file...
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yfunofikahasafox] rundll32.exe "C:\Users\William\AppData\Local\Nlpchulp.dll",Startup

Not a lot of help so far. Anyone have a clue what application this DLL is actually associated with? (probably a trojan or worse). I can post the logs if you think that would help, but there doesn't seem to be much else in there.

Thanks,
Tahoe

PS The first person that criticizes how I posted or what forum I posted in is getting one "upside the head"!

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2010 - 02:49 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I see where you posted about this same issue on another forum...google works wonders doesn't it?

I would like to say to you first of all Bleepingcomputer is a friendly forum where everyone here is treated with respect and as one of the family.

So with that being said you came to the right place for help with the respect you deserve. :huh:

If you permit me a few minutes to return with a reply for you that would be great, I just wanted you to know someone here is always willing to help you with a smile. :huh:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

OK I can not find that dll file on any data base, not even through googling it.

What I suggest is that you please download MalwareBytes Anti-malware, from the link I am providing you with below. Download the FREE version of it, install it on your computer and update it by clicking the update tab within the program, then do a full system scan.

Mawarebytes Anti malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/

This program is very good at finding hidden malware or Trojan problems or infected registry keys.

Please post back your results.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 August 2010 - 02:27 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

FWIW: Those types of error messages...are routine for situations where malware has previously been on the system and has been removed.

Although the major malware item is gone...a pointer still remains among your startups...so the system looks for something that is no longer there.

I suggest using a tool like Autoruns...to see what startup items are on your system. The Logon tab of Autoruns should be the place to look.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2010 - 04:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users