Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you tell me why a video file would only play audio, no video?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FredL

FredL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

I’m running Windows XP, and my default media player is Windows Media Player 11. After I downloaded a video clip (properties: audio format MPEG Layer-3) and played it, widows media player opened, and at the bottom it says “acquiring codec” then “codec acquired” but all I get is sound, no video. A friend of mine downloaded the same file from the same link, and they didn’t have any problems (but I don’t know what operating system or media player they’re using). However, after I downloaded Media Player Codec Pack, the video played back just fine.

My question is: how do I know if it’s a problem with the FILE or with my SYSTEM (possibly my media player)? I wanted to burn the file onto a CD, but I’d like to know up front if the file is going to play correctly on my friend’s PC or not. This is the first time I’ve ever encountered this problem, and admittedly don’t know a great deal about the ins and outs of video files, codecs and players.

Thanks!
Fred

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

You may be not happy with my reply, but I'd dump WMP and start using VLC Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
It has all necessary codecs built in.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:23 AM

I agree another option is ALShow. It is more similar to WMP and has all the needed codecs built in as well. http://www.altools.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users