Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much Is This Pc Costing In Electricity?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 12:45 AM

The easiest way to determine your average price is to look at your monthly electricity bill, and divide the total charge by the usage (kWh).

For example, if your monthly charge is 37.88 and your usage for the month is 289 kWh, then your average price per kWh is 37.88/289 = .13 cents/kWh or the Rate. This happens to be the Rate in NE N.J.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If you leave the PC on 365, 24/7 calculate like this

Cost ( annual) = Watts / 1000 x 8760 (hours in a year) x Rate. Use the wattage of the power supply

Example:
Cost = 400/1000 x 8760 x .13
= .4 x 8760 x .13
= 3504 x .13
= 455.52 per month 37.96
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reduce the number of hours to 40 per week on the rest off.

Cost = .4 x 2080 x .13
= 832 x .13
= 108.16 per month 9.01
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Substitute your Watts and Rate and your hours
Not 1000% accurate but quite close.

Enjoy
Pete

Edited by boopme, 28 October 2005 - 12:46 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:06 AM

Although your power supply maximum wattage is not always used by the computer, the calcutions provide a rough idea of cost. To this cost, however, you must add the electricity used by your monitor and, in some cases, any external speaker systems you have.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:04 PM

Yes that is correct,the Pc is not always at full wattage. Generally less, The average in what I was reading is about 150W. There were calculations to account for different peripherals. The average monitor was 110w (ray tube) 75w (LCD) and a large range on speakers and memory. RAM is 10w per 128 MB. So for the sake of a general rule I used the high end or full wattage of the power supply to compensate. Most if not all users will spend less. In fact with power management, standby, idle and full times times differ also. After doing some of the other calculations I came out with numbers close but less than mine. Also with more and more users of XP and LCD monitors cost with these are less. So I perhaps should say your cost may be 20 - 40 % less. But I just was looking for some rule of thumb. The only rule of thumb I could find stated: "A 125 watt computer running 24 hours a day costs $130 a year at a rate of 12 cents / kWh."
Hope this made things clearer.
Pete
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users