Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undeletable folder in E drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pankaj Mittal

Pankaj Mittal

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

Hello
I have an HCL desktop with Pentium dual core 2.66 Ghz, 80 GB HDD, 768 MB RAM, Windows XP Professional SP3 OS & Guardian 2009 registered antivirus. Recently my system crashed due to virus (as the service engineer told to me) & the service engineer reinstalled the OS. Now it is working fine. But now I have noticed a folder in my E drive (where I keep my all the office work) & when I hover my mouse over it , it shows the details – 869b61fF76eb6ad03Fe13b730F641C, Size-0 bytes, Folder: i386. When I try to delete this folder, it throws up a message – ‘cannot delete i386: Access is denied make sure the disk is not full or write protected & that the file is not currently in use’. This folder was not there prior to system crash.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

If you look in Disk Management you will see all of the partitions on your hard drive and the size of them. From what you have written, it looks like you have a partition labeled E, and you have 0 bytes on it, meaning that there is no data on it. You can either use this partition as it is, or there is software out there that you can use to delete it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

Some folders are temporary in nature and are created when Windows is installed (among other situations).

The folder you mentioned appears to be such a folder, IMO...and you cannot delete it (access denied) because it's considered a system folder (some can be deleted, some cannot).

If you really insist on deleting it, try it from safe mode or try using a tool like Unlocker.

Me, I would just ignore it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users