Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to upgrade a Sony Desktop/Integrated system is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 tex

tex

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:08 AM

I was unable to find this information elsewhere, I have a Sony VAIO Desktop computer with Windows XP, I bought it in 2002-2003. Would someone mind assisting me in finding out how I can speed it up with an upgrade?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

Something that old probably has outdated technology. Most would suggest adding more memory but DDR can be more expensive than DDR2 or DDR3 these days.

Being that it's still Windows XP I would also suggest a more modern OS that has a longer lifespan and better security.

My best suggestion would be to get a new computer. Not sure of your budget but $400 can get you a much faster computer with Windows 7 and you'd actually have a warranty as well.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

What is the model number/specs on that.

I work on a customer's Sony all-in-one from about the same vintage(he has kids so virus' are constant). If you have the same model, upgrades are pretty much non existent. Small stuff like disk drives/optical drives/memory are upgradeable, but other than that it is a no go.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

I have an old Sony Vaio desktop around the same age. Wonder if it's the same model. :D But as far as upgrades go, we're going to need to know your current specs.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 tex

tex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

The model is PCV-RS410. I will be happy to give any information needed.

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

Yes, that is very similar, if not the exact same model I have in the other room. :thumbsup:

Anyway, the RAM on there is DDR, so I'm not sure if it supports DDR2. I would suspect that it doesn't, unfortunately. Just in case, download this and under the Mainboard tab, tell me everything under the "Motherboard" section.

But like previous users have said, an upgrade is most likely not a practical option. For not too much more than what it would cost to do a significant upgrade (if the parts were available in retail which they're most likely not) to this computer, you could purchase a new computer. I highly suggest it once you've backed up any data you want to keep from the Sony Vaio.

Edited by TheShooter93, 09 August 2010 - 10:39 PM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

OK, here are your system specs:
Posted Image

As far as upgrades go, there's the system memory and hard drive (highlighted) worth considering.

However....

1. The motherboard ONLY supports ATA (IDE) hard drives and you have a 120GB 7200RPM IDE drive.
Unless you are looking to increase the storage capacity, an upgrade is pointless.

2. The memory support maxes out at 1GB, limited to the DDR2100 (266Mhz) specification.
So the only option here would be to get two 512MB sticks for your computer. That's 1GB of system memory!

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 09 August 2010 - 11:06 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:14 PM

That's the same window I was looking at before, but I was unable to determine if the motherboard supported DDR2 memory or not. If ReviverSoft is correct in saying that it only supports DDR RAM, then I'm sorry to say you're basically out of luck. :thumbsup:

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:04 AM

I'm pretty sure the memory maxes out at DDR 266Mhz, although a bump in memory size will help. :thumbsup:

The specs above suggest a maximum of 1GB but the chipset (845GV) supports upto 2GB of DDR memory.

#10 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

Do you think that an upgrade would be practically available? For example in a retail store like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc? In my experience they would only carry DDR2 and DDR3 memory. As well as the majority of popular online "stores."

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:18 AM

Check out the link in Post #7. :thumbsup:

DDR memory is available in most stores.

#12 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hmm, good to know. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#13 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

Frankly, 256MB to 1GB (Or 2GB), does offer a significant improvement. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 10 August 2010 - 01:54 PM.

#14 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Not when it's DDR266 on a 533FSB with an 845GL chipset. That was Intel's first chipset with DDR memory so they could get away from the Rambus RDRAM (850E chipset). :thumbsup:

Edited by JonM33, 10 August 2010 - 01:53 PM.

#15 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Sorry, care to shed some light on that?

Edited by ReviverSoft, 10 August 2010 - 02:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users