Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get My Dvd-rw Or Cd To Work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pairamedik

pairamedik

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:20 PM

Hopefully sombody can help me out.
I installed a new sony DVD-RW and reinstalled an older sony DVD-CD player. After installation, neither would work. In the device manager, I got a "Code 19" (some sort of registry problem). I searched Microsoft and found article ID#314060 that told me how to back up and edit the registry to correct the problem. When I followed those directions, I get a message that an "error" occured when I tried to edit.
Bottom line is my computer days they are there, the drivers are there, but somthing in the registry won't let windows start them. Any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:32 AM

If no one has ..:thumbsup: to BC
Check the jumper settings on your drives. A commom mistake when adding a drive is to have both set to Master. One must be set to Slave.

Edited by acklan, 28 October 2005 - 01:33 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 pairamedik

pairamedik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:10 AM

If no one has ..:thumbsup: to BC
Check the jumper settings on your drives. A commom mistake when adding a drive is to have both set to Master. One must be set to Slave.

Thanks!
I have already double checked the jumpers, and even tried installing them one at a time. I've uninstalled and reinstalled them. Still no luck.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:17 PM

As per your email go ahead and expand on the original post here.
And thanks, things are getting better down here.

#5 pairamedik

pairamedik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:14 PM

As per your email go ahead and expand on the original post here.
And thanks, things are getting better down here.

After installing the new DVD/RW and the older DVD/cd, neither device would work, although they were recognised in the device manager. clicking on them in there got me a "code 19", registry problem. I searched Microsoft and found the article that wanted me to edit the registry. When I followed those instructions, I received a message that an "error" had occured, and I was unable to edit.
I have double checked the jumpers, installed and re-installed, and even tried to install the devices one at a time, with no luck. I'm getting desperate, as it's tough to do anything without the CD. Any help anyone could give would be much appreciated!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:47 PM

Have you tried a restore point to before th problem? Did you delete the drives from the device manager and reboot? I found this possible fix http://searchwinsystems.techtarget.com/tip...1040195,00.html It involves a registry hack so backup your registry to floppy or cd before you try this. It could very easly destory your registry and result in a windows reinstall.

#7 pairamedik

pairamedik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:08 AM

Have you tried a restore point to before th problem? Did you delete the drives from the device manager and reboot? I found this possible fix http://searchwinsystems.techtarget.com/tip...1040195,00.html It involves a registry hack so backup your registry to floppy or cd before you try this. It could very easly destory your registry and result in a windows reinstall.

I checked out that link and the instructions are the same as the MS article (#314060) where I got the error message during registry editing.
Yes, I did uninstall from device manager before reboot. Good advice to try going back to a restore point. I'll let you know what happens.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:45 AM

Good deal. Good luck.

#9 pairamedik

pairamedik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:02 PM

Good deal. Good luck.

Success!!!
Although I could not get it to restore to any point, I went back and tried the registry editing again, and found that on my initial attempt, it did delete the high filter, but not the low filter. I was able to delete the low filter, and everything works perfect on reboot. :thumbsup:
I was a little nervous messing with the registry, especially since I had no CD drive to back up to. (I used my jump drive).
Thanks for all your guidance. I've learned a lot through the whole experience, and am gled I found bleeping computer. I'll be a regular browser from now on, to hopefully get beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous!!

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:31 PM

That is excellent. I am glad you figured it out. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users