Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD BAD_POOL_ERROR with USB external HDD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nuf2bdangerous

nuf2bdangerous

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:57 PM

I just bought a WD MyBook Essential 1 Tb external HDD to back up data on my Dell 8400 running Windows XP Pro SP3. When I plugged it into the USB (2.0) port (connected directly to the board- back of the PC), I get a BSOD almost immediately with a BAD_POOL_ERROR msg. It worked in Safe Mode- I could call it up on the desktop. I downloaded the latest update while in Safe Mode but same results when I tried it running normally. I did not transfer any data to it since I wasn't sure if I could use it.

My Dell runs with a RAID1 (mirroring) configuration. I thought that might be the problem but if that were the case, it wouldn't run in safe mode, right? (My internal HDDs are maxxed out which is why I want to back it up, then convert the internal array to RAID0 & continue backing up to the external HDD, but I guess that's another post in another forum...)

What other info can I provide that might help someone out there help me? Thanks in advance for any time and good intentions directed my way. I'll forewarn you that as an MD, it may be a little while before I try out any suggested fix and get back to you with the results.

My screen moniker says it all - nuf2bdangerous.

Edited by hamluis, 11 August 2010 - 09:35 AM.
Moved from External Hardware forum to XP ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Take a look in Event Viewer...and see if there is any data recorded re the Bad Pool Error message/event.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

<>

If the drive is properly reflected in Device Manager and My Computer...and the accompanying software is properly installed...I see no reason not to see if it works properly.

Louis

#3 nuf2bdangerous

nuf2bdangerous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:01 AM

I looked in Event Viewer but do not see a specific reference to BAD_POOL_ERROR. The messages I see in the System folder that correspond to the time of the crash are the following:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x8485b660, 0x8485b678, 0x1a030001). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081010-01.dmp.

AND

Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 ede3357a, parameter3 f7b76d5c, parameter4 f7b76a58.

The following is what I copied off the BAD_POOL_ERROR blue screen:

Technical info:
STOP 0x00000019 (0x00000020. 0x84EF3550, 0x84EF3568, 0x1A030001)

I also have the minidump files and screen shots of the error messages from Microsoft after I reboot if those would help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Basic refererence for many BSOD/STOP errors: Aumha STOP Errors - http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm

A convenient tool for reviewing suspects for BSODs: BlueScreenView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users