Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many problems with a custom computer (font, drivers)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ssjscottt

ssjscottt

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I've tried to use an old custom computer that was built for a friend's business, to be used as a server computer or something, but was never implemented fully. Recently, my home computer has been giving me hell, so my friend gave me the custom computer. It hadn't been used in a few years, but he said that it took quite a lot of money to make, so it should work fine.

First off, the font to the entire computer was really weird. I tried using ClearType, but that only helped for some of the font. The rest still is jagged and weird.

Another problem is that there is no video driver, and it says in the device manager that it is a Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I've tried to download it from cnet, but it's not letting me.

Windows XP Professional by the way.

I'm not exactly sure how to find out what the parts of the CPU are, if anyone could point me in the right direction for these problems, I would appreciate it very much. Also, sorry if I'm missing information, I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to include.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

The term VGA Compatible Video Controller simply means Windows does not know what the video is and has no driver for it, it doesn't identify it in any way.

I suggest install SIW on the system and run it to identify what parts are being used in the system, once that is known you or we can locate the drivers you'll need:

http://www.gtopala.com/
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 ssjscottt

ssjscottt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:26 PM

I downloaded it and am looking at it right now, when I look under hardware, and click video, it still says (under "value" and across from Video Adapter) Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

Interesting. Does it list a PnP Device ID?

#5 ssjscottt

ssjscottt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

Yep,

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3344&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_01\4&8CA73A7&1&0008

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

VIA Unichrome Pro. Does SIW ID a motherboard model - it's usually best to get the mainboard manufacturer's drivers if it's on-board video.

#7 ssjscottt

ssjscottt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
8VM800PMD-775

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:48 PM

Choose your OS version here:

http://www.giga-byte.com/products/product-...159&dl=1#dl

Since the system's status is uncertain, I'd suggest also download the Hyperion chipset drivers, and install them before the VIA VGA drivers.

Unichrome is very basic video, it will be OK for general home/business usage, netsurfing etc, but may not operate at all modern monitor resolutions (I don't think it has 1440x900 for example) and will be pretty useless for games.

#9 ssjscottt

ssjscottt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

Thank you so much!

Also, could I ask for an opinion?
I'm debating which computer to use, the new(ish) one, or the old one.

New: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz (2 CPUs)

Old: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Display Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6100

The old one also makes obnoxiously loud noises nonstop, sometimes headache inducing- a reason why I'm switching, but if the difference between the video cards is so great, I may consider just keeping the old one.

And I'm really sorry for asking another question, you've already helped enough, and if it's too much trouble, I understand, but the screen resolution in the new computer doesn't give me the option of selecting 1366 x 768, which is probably the reason why a lot of the font is so blurry. Is there a way to select the native resolution of my monitor?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

For the system making loud sounds, can you locate the source? It is probably a cooling fan with bad bearings, which may not be a difficult thing to replace.

On the resolutions available, once the correct video driver is installed, re-boot the system and check the available resolutions. If 1366x768 isn't in the list, in the Display Properties/Settings, click Advanced then on the Adapter tab, click List all modes, see if it exists there. If it does, choose it and it should then appear in the Settings choices.

If this does not help, you could see if the manufacturer of your monitor offers a "driver" (usually an .inf file but could be an .exe installer) for your monitor, which may inform the video driver of your monitor's resolution capability.

I believe the Unichrome should be able to offer 1366 x 768, but I can't guarantee it.

Edited by Platypus, 09 August 2010 - 12:44 AM.

#11 ssjscottt

ssjscottt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:40 AM

The 1366 x 768 isn't in the "list all" list.
I found the driver, but it's not XP compatible, only Vista..

The Monitor is an Acer x183h

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:16 AM

I found the driver, but it's not XP compatible, only Vista..

Which driver, the VGA? Did you select Windows XP 32bit as the OS?

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:29 AM

Sorry, had to get the chops out of the oven...

Did you mean the Acer Monitor drive file with Vistax86 in the name? Have you tried unzipping it and updating the monitor driver anyway from the folder where the X183H.INF file is? It might still work.

Edited by Platypus, 09 August 2010 - 03:58 AM.

#14 ssjscottt

ssjscottt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:10 AM

Yep, I was talking about the Ace Monitor file. I'm not sure how to update the driver from the folder, there are only 3 files in the folder, all called x183h, all which do nothing.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:34 AM

You can either go through Device Manager or Display Properties/Monitor/Driver tab and choose Update driver. Answer No to the Windows Update option, and choose to install from a list. Select Don't search I will choose..., then Have Disk. Browse to the .inf file & see if it will install.

Looking in the x183h.inf file, it does cover 1366 x 768 resolution if it will install and the motherboard will support that resolution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users