Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regedit For Internet Explorer String. Please Help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:47 PM

I got an UBER geek questioin... it is regedit... SO IF YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT REGEDIT... DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!! IT WILL MESS UP SOMETHING BAAAAAAD!!

OK, so I want to have the Internet Explore have something written on the top box.. there it sais right now "BleepingComputers.com -> Posting New Topic - Microsoft Internet Exporer".

I know to go into HKEY_LOCAL_USER --> Software --> Microsoft --> Internet Explorer --> Main

But I do not know the format or name of the string to type in to have it placed at the top of the screen.

As for a cool heads up, do this to anyone that has their computer unlocked at your work.. I like to put something like "THAT WILL TEACH YOU TO LOCK YOUR WORKSTARTION". And they can never get rid of it. hahaha.

AnyHow.... HELLLLLP!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:50 PM

I don't know how to do it but SpywareBlaster does http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Run SpywareBlaster and go to Tools>Misc. IE Settings

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:04 AM

Wow, didn't know people tried to GIVE YOU SPYWARE ON THIS SITE!!

What kinda fool do you take me for?

NEXT!!!!!

wow, didn't know they brought Aussies up that way!!!!!! :thumbsup:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

You should do a little investigating, before you accuse someone on this site, of trying to give you spyware.
Rimmer is one of our respected members who, to my best recollection, has never intentionally given anyone bad advice.
If you would have checked his previous posts, you would have seen that.

Also, Spywareblaster is one of the best programs out there, for fighting spyware.
From Rimmer's link:

# Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
# Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
# Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.

And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background.

SpywareBlaster is freeware for personal and educational use.

This is one of the most recommended programs on this site.
We even have a Tutorial on how to set it up, and use it:
Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware, Hijackers, and Malware

Rimmer's advice is probably your best option.
Plus the added benifit of an excellent anti-spyware tool.
Open Spywareblaster.
Click Tools.
Click the Misc. IE Settings tab.
There you will see a box titled IE Window Title Text.
Make your changes there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

What kinda fool do you take me for?

NEXT!!!!!

wow, didn't know they brought Aussies up that way!!!!!! :thumbsup:

What makes you think SpywareBlaster (or an javacool software) is spyware? I haven't seen any of their stuff on the rogue spyware lists.

Please enlighten me.

#6 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:34 PM

OK, I withdraw my comment with my appologies..
Maybe I misworded my question.
I am looking for a regedit code, I knew it, but forot it, I AM SURE there is one.
I am not willing to download spyblaster since I have PestPatrol (CA) and Microsoft anti-spyware.
Which, to me, are very reliable.

I don't want a new program, I just want a string... a simple code, please help.

Once again, to Rimmer, my appologies, I did not see the "addict" level. I have been dealing with computers ever since win 95.. so I have little faith in any software.. have seen the most reliable of programs turn in to be nightmares (win 98 :thumbsup:). Hope rimmer knows where I am coming from.

REGCODE help please.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:09 AM

I have been on computers since '89 starting with a 286 8mhz and DOS 3.3. But regardless of Rimmer's level a little respect is in order. If for no other reason than he took his time and gave you sincere and in my option expert advice.
Rude is never appropriate, no matter what the reason.
By the way Spyblaster and Java Cool in general is well reconized and widely use by experts and notives alike. How did you miss it with all of your years of computing?

Edited by acklan, 29 October 2005 - 12:10 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:07 PM

Going Nowhere. Topic locked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users