Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup applcations

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tjapukai

tjapukai

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

I have several .exe files on the applications list in the task manager that i don't want to open on startup. How do I turn them off?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

Try to disable unnecessary programs that run at startup, from inside the program itself, using the Options menu.

To control Startup applications, that can't be disabled from the programs Option menu, use a third-party startup monitor, such as Autoruns, Startup Control Panel, or Startup Inspector.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

In Xp, click on start/run type in "msconfig" (without the quotations) and then in the system configuration box, select the start up tab, uncheck any applications you do not want to run at start. You can probably select most except your antivirus, firewall and any other security program. If you a problem with a program you can go back and change it. Reboot and check the box that pops up after the reboot....can't recall what it says right off bat but I'm sure someone else can tell you
In vista or windows 7 you can type in "msconfig" from the search box

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

msconfig should not be used as a startup manager.
That's not what it was designed for.
msconfig, was designed as a troubleshooting tool.

I's best to use a third-party startup manager.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 Oseyerus13

Oseyerus13

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:07 PM

WinPatrol is another good option. I use it and Autoruns to handle troubleshooting, but both work great as managers.

On a simi-related note, I've heard of people using AnVir Task Manager Free to handle startups as well. Anyone used it before and have any recommendations on it?

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 918 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

msconfig should not be used as a startup manager.
That's not what it was designed for.
msconfig, was designed as a troubleshooting tool.

I's best to use a third-party startup manager.

Please elaborate
I have been using msconfig for years on many computers and do not see any issues with this option

For the OP, here is some info you can read up on about programs in the start up list
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Edit:
Microsoft recommends Auotruns to edit your start up list
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Edited by Joe C, 09 August 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Courtesy of http://www.iphoneresource.net/iphone/gener...startup-files...

"However, don’t utilize msconfig to disable startup applications. Though it functions as a basic startup manager, msconfig shouldn’t be used to alter your PC’s auto-start programs, because by doing that:

- you change the registry where there are services that are necessary for hardware and booting. Once you uncheck a service in msconfig, you disable it entirely.

- while disabled with msconfig, programs may not be uninstalled properly and orphaned entries often will be left behind.

- switching back to normal startup mode, the orphan entries can result in boot up errors.

- msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations, some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user.

- msconfig does not allow the complete removal of disabled entries from its list."

My opinion/experience is also that msconfig does not display all startup items, certainly not in the detail which a utility like Autoruns provides.

Louis

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 918 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Thanks...Autoruns looks like a better option and I'll start using that from now on

#9 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

Yeah, definitely good advice. I've been using msconfig for years without issue. Now that I know there can be risks involved, I will definitely use AutoRun or a similar program.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

And a few more :flowers:

The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows XP configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310560

The System Configuration utility finds and isolates issues. However, it is not a startup management program.

For more information about how to disable or to permanently remove the programs that run when Windows starts, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
270035 How to disable programs that run when you start Windows XP Home Edition or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950093

When you attempt to disable startup files using the System Configuration Utility (Msconfig.exe), some or all of the files may still be loaded when you start your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191547

System Configuration is intended to find and isolate problems, but it's not meant as a startup management program. To permanently remove or turn off programs or services that run at startup, see Uninstall or change a program.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...m-Configuration

This is just to point out, that MS doesn't recommend msconfig be used, as a startup manager.

Joe C,
I personally use Autoruns.
Great little program. :thumbsup:

#11 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 918 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

I just tried Autoruns on my own pc, it needs to run as administrator to turn things off in the start up list in Windows 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users