Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto Play Problem - DVD-ROM, Camera Won't Autorun

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IndyHoops

IndyHoops

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hello,

Let me start by saying thank you in advance for any advice and help you'll be good enough to provide.

Here are the details -

The problem - Auto run does not work.

a.) Discs do not auto run but I can access the data on them via My Computer. I've also verified the -RW drive can successfully write.
b.) Clickfree software does not automatically launch when I plug the Clickfree drive in, but I DO get the USB chime and the Clickfree system opens. From there I can run the software and begin a backup manually.
c.) My camera (Canon A570) is not recognized at all. This is the biggest problem as there is no manual work around.

1. Mobo: Asus K8V_SE_Deluxe
2. OS: XP
3. What I've done so far: A lot. I'll try to remember it all. --

I've used regedit to verify that the auto play key is set to '1'. It is.

I've used TweakUI to verify auto play is enabled for the optical media (DVD-ROM and DVD-RW). It is.

I've uninstalled the software that came with my camera (Canon A570) and reinstalled it.

I've ran autofix.exe. A problem was found with the Local Computer Policy. I clicked "Repair" and rebooted but this did not fix the problem. In fact, the next time I run autofix.exe, it identifies the same problem. Interesting tidbit - the first time I ran this it found a problem with the Clickfree. Prior to repairing that problem, I could still access the Clickfree manually via My Computer but the system window would not open automatically.

I recently replaced AVG with Avast anti-virus, replaced ZoneAlarm with Comodo firewall and installed SuperAnti-Spyware. I found malware and deleted it. I can't remember the names, there was one virus and some spyware. Researched on them seemed to say that none of them were overly malignant. I decided to go with an abundance of caution, though, and ran CCleaner to scrub the registry. In doing, I think I scrubbed something I shouldn't have.

I hope someone knows how to fix this. I'm at my wits end and I have some pics on my camera that I really need to download to my PC.

So, please help!

Hoops

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hi indyhoops, and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Registry cleaners have a poor reputation with most of us here, they can do more harm than the marginal good that you can get from them.

You might try doing a System Restore to see if it will correct what the registry cleaner did.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Another thing to try would be to replace the drivers for the DVD, this can be done via Device Manager. Start> My Computer> Manage> Device Manager. Scroll down the list to DVD/CD drives, click on the + to the left of it to expand it, click on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver. When you reboot, windows will look for native drivers to replace those. This is a plug and play device, so that should work.

That's a start, let us know how it goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 IndyHoops

IndyHoops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

DC3,

I've already tried going back to the earliest possible restore point (new I'd forget something.) At some point during my cleanup, I deleted all previous restore points. I don't remember if that was before or after running the registry cleaner, but either way, going back to the earliest restore point did not fix the problem.

As for the DVD drivers, I may try that down the road but as the drives are working in all ways other than auto play, I'm a little leery of doing that until I can resolve the issue of my PC not being able to recognize my camera.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

Download Autorun fix
Double click on fix.bat
When done, restart computer, and see, if autorun works.
If not, reverse changes, by double clicking on backup.reg created in same location where you ran fix.bat from.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 IndyHoops

IndyHoops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Broni,

No such luck, but thanks. Still no love for my digital camera. I'm starting wonder if its time to build myself a new PC. Of course, getting the one I already have to work is preferable...and less expensive. :thumbsup:

#6 IndyHoops

IndyHoops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

This issue has been solved. It was operator error -- I had the camera on but it wasn't in view mode. Doing this I can at least use the Microsoft Camera and Scanner wizard to pull the pics from the camera. Canon's software still won't run because the SSDP Discovery Service will not start. I'll start a new thread on that.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

Nice job :thumbsup:

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users