Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aim Virus Link

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deuce23

deuce23

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:10 PM

My friend's AIM was infected with a virus that automatically sends out a message with a link to everyone on their buddylist that's disguised as a .com but is really a .ocm but you won't know that until you click on it and it opens up as a file. It will will show as a .com when you scroll over the link too. The message reads like this :

something new: home.earthlink.net/~sancochosunday/picture043.com
(note: that's the actual link so please don't click on it unless you want to at your own risk)

I did click on the link but I did not save it or anything so I'm not sure if my computer is infected but I'm running scans to see if it would detect it. But how would one remove the virus? Thanks ahead of time.

//Mod edit: Hot link modified to protect all.

Edited by KoanYorel, 27 October 2005 - 07:24 PM.

Daily Digest FreebieGossip --- AngryMidgetYo --- Sinfest --- Explosm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 melenet

melenet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:59 PM

might wanna try http://www.jayloden.com/aimfix.htm

#3 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:21 PM

Oh okay thanks I'll try that.

#4 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:26 PM

might wanna try http://www.jayloden.com/aimfix.htm

I love this place!!!!!

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

#5 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:05 PM

I tried it but it didn't seem to detect any viruses...But my scans did pick up a worm though so that might be it. And this might be the AIM virus that's been going around:

AOL’s instant messaging service has been hit by a virus which downloads spyware onto computers via a special website.
The virus spreads via messages on AOL’s AIM software, either saying HILARIOUS!!! Or see thing!!!, with a URL. Clicking on the link takes the user to a web page that attempts to download a Trojan onto the computer using patchable flaws in the browser.

“We have seen several versions of the URL,” said web monitor Websense, which issued an alert about the virus.
“Some are up and some have been taken down. All have been hosted on personal web pages at ISPs, have had the extension of ‘.com’, prefixed by ‘~username’, and either ‘image’ or ‘pic’, followed by a number and extension.”

Once installed, the Trojan then modifies several registry items, adds a browser helper object, and installs several pieces of spyware. It also connects to more than 10 different websites to download and install other Trojan Horses and pieces of spyware.
AOL has become a regular target in recent months. Last month it was hit with a phishing scam, although the company claims user information was stolen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users