Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop disconnects internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 truteno

truteno

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

So im on my toshiba tablet laptop and when i connect to wireless it automatically boots the internet from the router so no one can go on. I can still see other computers on the router but can not access the internet. I have no virus protections in place(just reformatted the computer altho this happened ever since i got the computer) and my firewall is down. Just wanna know why this happens

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

what is the make and model of router and what is os is the machine running?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 truteno

truteno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

its windows xp sp3 tablet edition and its been booting off any router i go on

Edited by Budapest, 08 August 2010 - 10:26 PM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications ~BP

#4 randy02

randy02

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:18 AM

its windows xp sp3 tablet edition
thank you

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

Check to make sure your network settings are set to get an IP address and DNS information automatically. It sounds like you may have it set with a static address of 192.168.1.1 which is the IP address that most routers use by default. Just like the Highlander (American TV reference), in any given subnet there can be only one (device with a given IP address).

#6 truteno

truteno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

changed that now it boots the internet after 5 minutes of being on there internet with the laptop. tried with firewall on and off, didn't make a difference

#7 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

Check and see that you have the latest drivers (and possibly firmware) for your wireless interface. Toshiba would be the first place to check, if nothing there then try the chipset vendor. You can also check the system logs to see if there is any info there as to why you are being kicked. 5 minutes is a common key rotation time which makes me inclined to suspect driver code, though.

If you are still having problems after updating the drivers try deleting the wireless interface in the Device Manager then reboot. Windows will discover and re-add it (using the last installed drivers, usually) which can fix a lot of odd problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users