Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keybored problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mina01

Mina01

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

I shut down my computer today. And when I started it back later on today I realized that the keyboard was locked . I can't even move the mouse. I don't know what to do. I can't even get on my desktop page . Please can someone help me. I have a Dell pc. Also there's a lock symbol with the # 9 in the middle of it on the keyboard .

Edited by Mina01, 08 August 2010 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mina01

Mina01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

Can anyone help

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

What Model is your Dell
What Operating System
Is your Keyboard/Mouse PS2(green and purple ends) or USB connected?

What do you mean by middle of your keyboard having a lock symbol with the #9...your keyboard shouldnt even change how it looks...unles you pop a key off..im confused? :/
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 Mina01

Mina01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for your response . I checked every thing and it's all plugged in. On the key board where the cap lock symbol is there's a nother symbol there with a #9 in the middle of it. I pressed cap lock number lock and scoll lock to see if it was one of those that was makin that symbol. I have a Dell pc it a optiplex gx 620. It looks like a lock and the #9 is in the middle I don't know what that means. U know when u put the cap lock on and it shows u that it's on , on your key board. Well next to that is where I see the lock symbol.

Edited by Mina01, 13 August 2010 - 01:14 PM.

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

that is the Numlock, i have that on the DELL Keyboard im using right now.

what about the model of your dell
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

Try booting up again. Watch the keyboard as you do so - do the staus indicators flash? Again, more information about your computer would be useful. Some are fussy about which USB ports keyboards and mice are plugged into (experience from a Dell system at work).

#7 Mina01

Mina01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

I'm not to sure what kind of Dell it is lol. I really don't have no clue about computers. I looked all over the pc and all I see is optiplex gx 620 and windows xp professional Dell. I hope one of these Is it .if not please tell me where to look . Thanks ps also it's a desk top .

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Have a look at the following link and follow the instructions there:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/332319/mousekeyboard-not-working/
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 Mina01

Mina01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

So I tried rebooting the computer and I kept pressing f8 to see of it would work on safe mode . I was able to use the up and down keys to put it on safe mode . But once it get on the log in page I'm stuck there none of the buttons work . So now that I'm unable to press anything the screen saver came on and I have to turn the pc off manually . Awww I need help please. :thumbsup: Thanks.@ s1lents0ul how do u take the number lock off. I've pressed the number lock key on the key board but nothing happens . It's stills shows that it on lock

Edited by Mina01, 16 August 2010 - 12:00 PM.

#10 Klick8986

Klick8986

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

Have you tried booting up the computer without the keyboard and then connecting the keyboard. The fact that you were able to press f8 before windows loaded but then locked when entering safe mode may suggest an issue with drivers. Also I'm not sure if you said if they were usb or green\purple connections.

#11 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

Hey Mina01,

To take the NumLock off, just press the NumLock key over on the right side of the keyboard where the Number Pad is. The light comes on when you press NumLock and that means its enabled, letting you use the Number Pad, press it again, and its disabled, and pressing those numbers wont do anything. It does not "lock" your keyboard from being used at all.

Is your Keyboard plugged into a USB port or a green/purple (PS2) port. Tell us what the end of the wire from the keyboard looks like. If you have a wireless keyboard, let us know that.

If its USB, try using a different USB port and see if that lets you use your keyboard.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#12 Mina01

Mina01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:38 AM

Omg. Ok guys I unplugged the key board again and plugged it up to a nother USB and it worked. I guess I had it plugged up wrong. I really don't know how that happened cause it stop workin before I unplugged anything. Lol I'm just happy it's workin again. I just what to say thank you guys for everything your advise where very helpful . Thanks again . Until the next pc issue . Lol later :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users