Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Agahnim

Agahnim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:37 PM

*After having to restart again, I discovered that it doesn't shut down my internet but instead, it shuts down my internet browsing usage. All of my IM programs were never disconnected and worked normal.*

I have to make this topic quick. Yesterday, I had an accident with HiJack This where I must've clicked the wrong thing without knowing it when clicking on the screen to scroll down it and it royally messed up my computer. I know that program pretty well and I know what I need to click and not click. It messed up my operating system to where I couldn't start it. I reloaded and fixed everything back to normal, got my files back and all except for 2 things I never encountered before. My internet only stays on for 5 minutes and shuts off like it is on a timer. I know for a fact that it isn't my internet service because it never done that before and plus, the internet works again for another 5 minutes exact time when I restart the computer. I don't know what is causing this either. I have a feeling that there is something on my computer disconnecting me from the internet, cable. I have crappy Windows 98 and will upgrade to XP when I get a new computer and when stores reopen back up from the Katrina damage.

Another problem I am facing is that MS Paint now says that jpgs and gif image files are not supported. I don't know what I need to do to fix that either but I thought I should mention that to. But right now, the internet problem is more important.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:57 PM

First thing I would try is uninstall then reinstall your browsers. After that, if you have a registry backup that preceeds your computer probs, backup your data to CDs and then restore the old system settings.

If neither of those work, Data Backup, fdisk, reinstall everything. I'm guessing this is a home PC where you could afford to spend the time on fdisk & fresh install. You prob wouldn't use winblows 98 on a work PC?

#3 Agahnim

Agahnim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:50 PM

I am doing that now. Right now, I am saving my files that cannot be replaced like my artwork and PC game Save files onto my zip and floppy disks. I am thinking about uninstalling the entire OS and reinstalling it. I might be able to borrow my neighbor's Win XP disk and install that onto my computer until I get a new computer. Would you think that would work?

#4 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:41 PM

It should, if it is the same version, as long as you use your key, not his. But I've never tried it :thumbsup:

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:52 AM

I am doing that now. Right now, I am saving my files that cannot be replaced like my artwork and PC game Save files onto my zip and floppy disks. I am thinking about uninstalling the entire OS and reinstalling it. I might be able to borrow my neighbor's Win XP disk and install that onto my computer until I get a new computer. Would you think that would work?

That in a word is, Piracy . We neither condone or encourage this practice. Please do not discuss this topic any further.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Agahnim

Agahnim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:29 PM

That is? I didn't think about that. Forget it.

Anyways, how do I completely delete the whole Win98 OS so I can reload it again starting from scratch? I've never done it before.

Better yet, I'll go somewhere else and ask what the hell is happening to my computer.

Edited by Agahnim, 29 October 2005 - 08:33 PM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

Here is a good place to ask.
To format your hard drive insert your boot floppy and reboot. At the C:\ type in format c: /u
You will get a warning. WARNING ALL DATA WILL BE LOST! DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE? Y/N
Select Y to erase your hard drive.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:01 PM

If your computer is worth keeping , you could pick up a copy of Windows 2000 for about $60 on ebay. Or the free route could be Puppy Linux. It is a live flavor of Linux that runs from a CD is RAM (With atleast 256mb). It's only 60mb and looks alot like '98.
Download and burn an .iso image. When it boots just follow the instructions. You can also install it to the hard drive if you choose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users