Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Drive Letter In Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

Hi, I recently installed XP on my desktop (Dell Inspiron 530) and I want to change the drive letter of my hard drive from I: to C: but my problem is that C: is taken up. Disk Manager won't let me change the drive letter of my hard drive, and a MS KB article says that changing the drive letter of the hard drive is not built in to Disk Manager. I just want to know, is there a third party program that will let me do this? I am the Admin on my PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

Have you tried these steps?

How to change a drive letter

To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a volume, follow these steps:

1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk
Management
in the left pane.

4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter
to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

5. Click Change.

6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, click the drive letter that you
want to use, and then click OK.

7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.

The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

I'm going to assume that I: is your system drive and tell you that no, it can't be done. You can change the drive letters of all non-system volumes, but Windows won't let you change the drive letter that it's installed to. You could do it manually but all it would accomplish would be completely borking your system.

Luckily this is a fresh install. What did Windows assign C to? A card reader? If so here's my advice - unplug the card reader from the system board and install Windows again. Make sure the system drive is C, then plug 'em back in. I know it sucks, but it's your only viable option besides just living with it the way it is.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

As Cohen states, a repair install of XP (or a clean install) is the only way that I know of to change the letter for the system partition.

When XP installs, it takes an inventory of drives installed. If it detects another drive (other than an optical drive/partition) already established, it moves on to the next letter that is not assigned.

A repair install with these additional drives temporarily disconnected...will place C: on the system partition.

Drive letters for any other partitions/drives may be changed in the manner outlined by DC3, with the clarification that the desired letter must not already be assigned a partition/drive.

Louis

#5 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

Will a repair wipe my programs? The biggest annoyance about reinstalling Windows is loading all the programs back on. Otherwise yes I can disconnect the other drives.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

If you had a MS Genuine XP CD...the answer would be a definite "No."

Since you have a Dell...you need to review the repair options Dell provides on that system.

http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index....&~ck=anavml

From what I see...you have a recovery partition and recovery disks...which are not the same as a copy of Genuine XP CD and cannot be used in lieu of a MS XP CD for repair purposes.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2010 - 09:15 PM.
Corrected blunder :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users