Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for TV advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BadBeat

BadBeat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

I'll just start by saying that I don't watch TV. I haven't in years, so the whole flat screen thing has pretty much just passed me by. Now, my Dad is looking to buy an hdtv with an inbuilt dvd player, for, ideally, about 150-200. And he nearly did his normal thing of going into Tescos and picking up something cheap that looks shiney. Everything (3 tv's and a dvd player so far) he's ever bought from there has been flawed and terrible, but he keeps on doing it. I managed to convince him that I'd do some research on good TV's, but, frankly, I've no idea where to even start.

So, any recommendations would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

I've been using this same CRT moniter for 6 years. Makes me feel pretty archaic. :flowers:

Edited by BadBeat, 08 August 2010 - 04:13 PM.

Behind you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Start here: HDTV Buying Guide. This will give you more information. But I will say your budget will limit you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

I don't know if they have them in the UK but alot of my friends have Vizio brand TV's and they seem to perform as well as the better brands I've looked at and the price is generally a few bucks cheaper then the bigger name brands but I'm not sure what you'll find for less than $300 american

Posted Image

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:10 AM

I'd caution against buying an all-in-one TV with DVD player. If the TV dies your DVD player is no good. If your DVD player dies it's still part of your TV. And if you find yourself wanting to watch movies on Blu-Ray, your DVD player won't help much.

I like separate devices for separate jobs, but that's just me.

#5 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

I absolutely agree with CapN Easy on this one. I refused to buy the combo TV with VCR built in when they became available and for good reason. If one goes out and you need to get it repaired, you lose both. That's why I'm also steering well clear of the new HP all in one computers with the touch screen. To me it's just that much more that you'll lose when one thing goes bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users