Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Giant Antispyware?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nabbers

nabbers

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:23 PM

I used to have Giant AntiSpyware but it has been taken over by Microsoft.
I downloaded their new version when my subscription expired but when I installed it, it froze my computer?
I removed it and am reluctant to install it again?
Does anyone have any ideas? Or would a proprietary program be better if I purchased one? e.g. Spyware Doctor?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:50 PM

Hello nabbers

Here are a couple of on site links, that will hopefully,
steer you in the right direction.

Simple steps to keep your computer secure!

Virus & Malware Resources

The school of thought is to have more than one spyware/adware program.
Which is called layered protection. Reason being what one may not catch, another may.
The first link above, has information on recommended programs.

I personally do not use Giant AntiSpyware or Spyware Doctor.

I did come across this though.

Important information for GIANT AntiSpyware users who have active subscriptions

Product and Definition File Updates. As previously offered by GIANT Company Software, software and definition file updates will be made available to you through the length of your subscription period as they become available.

Microsoft will continue to provide the same level of support to current subscribers of GIANT AntiSpyware software as was offered by GIANT Company Software prior to its acquisition by Microsoft Corporation. Microsoft, however, will no longer sell new licenses, subscriptions, or subscription renewals for GIANT Company Software products, including GIANT AntiSpyware.

After reading the info above, I wonder where you downloaded the new version of Giant AntiSpyware from.
Since according to Microsoft., there are no longer offering any new licenses, subscriptions, or subscription renewals.

Could you please reply with the location where you downloaded it from. If it is not an official download. That could be the problem, Maybe....

Edited by Scarlett, 28 October 2005 - 08:24 AM.

Posted Image

#3 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:01 PM

It's now called Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta. It's freeware for now.

My quick and dirty soln would be registry cleaning utilities. You should be able to find several in this forum. Be carefull how you use them and make sure to at least use the backup facilities they provide.

#4 tbbrick

tbbrick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:53 PM

Last I read on their web site, M$ Anti-spyware is still in beta. You can test it, but you can't update it. Only the Good Lord knows when M$ will make it live. M$ said they will support currently Giant users. But what good does it do to you if you can't get updates???

I think you'd be better off with Spybot Search and Destroy and Syware Blaster. Both are shareware. Check out my sig for the links.

Compute in Peace!!!

tbb

Edited by tbbrick, 28 October 2005 - 01:54 PM.

Whatchasayerproblemiz!?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users