Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access laptop from my desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 avz10

avz10

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

I have a LAN with a desktop and a router/modem installed. I use Windows 7. I also have a laptop, that previously had Windows XP. Previously eveything was part of my network (not homegroup), both printers worked from the desktop and I could print from my laptop basically via the router and my desktop. I also used Synctoy to backup data from my laptop to my desktop. I live in Johannesburg, our head office is in Cape Town.

Our laptops were updated in Cape Town last week and also has Windows 7, but I suppose, was set up with all administrative "blocks" in Cape Town.
So currently:
  • I can "see" each computer on the other one
  • I can print with the laptop and desktop
  • But, I cannot access the laptop from the desktop
If I click on the icon of the laptop on the desktop, it states that I do not have admin privilege to do so. I cannot install Synctoy.

Posted Image

I tried the following on the laptop, to try and bypass this "block" as I want to back up over weekends- the office personnel can do that directly to the server, but my files/ presentations are often too big.

Control Panel- Admin Tools-Computer Mx-Storage-Disk Mx-R click on dive-Prperties-Security-Clicked "Everyone user"-unclicked Admin- Allow-Full control- but still unable to access the laptop.

Even if I can create a seperate user on the laptop, it will help.

Any advice?
Albie

Edited by avz10, 09 August 2010 - 07:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 avz10

avz10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:23 AM

I have now established that the laptop is totally blocked- cannot even install programs like Picasa, Photoshop, Nero, etc. Any advice please?

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

Contact your Cape Town IT folks and explain the situation and see if they will modify your access privileges. If not, you are pretty well stuck with significantly lowered productivity. Or get yourself another laptop that you own and control. Or get another employer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users