Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home won't boot up, won't boot from cd rom, help!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

I have a 120 GB Seagate ST3120020A so I have burnt a iso image of seatools diagnostics which is now running on the faulty machine.

I did the short and long test, no errors found.

I am now checking my memory using memtest86. It has been running for about 3 hours. Here is a photo of it that I took.

Posted Image
https://ssl-proxy-updated.herokuapp.com/b5708e24782a7a3c693e02e1fa17a50a243a60c6/687474703a2f2f6933352e74696e797069632e636f6d2f6971656e6d382e6a7067/

Please can someone tell me, has this memtest crashed or is it normal to take this long?

Thankyou

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

Well...32,767 indicates something is amiss, I think.

Any error at all while running Memtest86+...is a problem.

If you are running Memtest86 and not Memtest86+...I suggest that you read the following.

Memtest86 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest

Louis

#18 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:05 AM

I am not sure that you can make a bootable CD for Win XP Home Edition. I have a genuine OEM disc which came with my PC when I bought it some years ago. The disc is XP2 and so thinking that a slipstreamed bootable disc would save me some time updating from XP2 to XP3 I made one. I actually made two one using IMGBurn and one using NLite. The next time I formatted I used one of these but got a list of certain files were missing. So thinking this was a fault in the copying process I then used the other disc but also got another series of missing files although different ones from the first disc. I then thought I will install this disc and do a repair install using the other one which apparently had the missing files but this did not work either. I then just used my original XP2 disc and updated manually to XP3. Later I read a post here I think saying that you cannot make a bootable disc from a OEM copy it must be a full copy of XP.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#19 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:50 AM

Bootable CDs for XP...have been made by many of us who have updated/slipstreamed our original XP disks.

"OEM copy" can have two entirely different meanings.

a. MS OEM/System Builders copy which are sold at reduced prices to those who build their own systems.

b. Boxmaker (HP, Dell, IBM, etc.) disks which are not the same as MS Genuine XP CDs.

You cannot create a bootable XP CD from the boxmaker CDs (since they are not the same as MS XP CDs)...but any MS Genuine XP disks can be updated/slipstreamed and result in a bootable CD.

Louis

#20 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Hey guys,

After your previous advice, I've now used memtest+ v. 4.10 and it seems that the same thing has happened again. It's been on 72% for half hour.

If there was an error wouldn't the program tell me so? Or could it be that bad of an error that it won't report it?!

Hamluis, thanks again for your quick replies and support, it's much appreciated and very rare on any other forum I've been on.

Posted Image

Please someone tell me, what next?

#21 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

Friend,

See all those red lines? Each one of those is an error. Looks like you have some bad ram. How many sticks do you have? 896 is an odd number... either a 512, a 256 and a 128, or possibly 3 256s and a 128? Pull them all out, and run the test separately with only one chip at a time.

If it fails, it's bad. If it passes, it's good - keep the good and the bad separate. When you've finished testing all the chips, put the good ones back in the machine and see if you can boot the drive.

#22 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

Well...I'm no expert but I'd say that you either have a RAM problem or a motherboard problem.

If that RAM has always been installed...those errors are pretty indicative that something has gone awry with one or the other.

When I've run Memtest86+, I always just stopped it when I saw any error. I also ran my modules separately, together in each and different slots...every way possible to determine just what the problem might be, where it could be defined.

You cannot just run one test with all modules in one slot configuration...and pin anything down.

Memtest86+ Guide, Overclockers.

Louis

#23 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

Would the bad memory be causing windows not to boot? It says errors such as "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
System32/Drivers/isapnp.sys"

Forgive my limited knowledge, but is this not more of a "physical error" in that things have been physically deleted?

Or can bad memory cause this to happen?

#24 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

Yes, bad memory can absolutely cause this to happen, and is at this point the most likely culprit. If the driver is in fact corrupt, it was also probably caused by the bad memory and it's pointless to try and fix anything else until we know the memory is good.

#25 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

Brilliant, thanks Cohen. I'm going to take a look at it now. Never done this before so I'm going to be googling/youtubing every step of the way! I'll get back to you!

#26 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

Problem solved!!!

I did what you guys said and switched the ram out. I had 4 sticks in there at 256mb each, so 1gb in total although it says 512mb memory on the sticker on the front?

Anyways it turns out one stick was faulty.

I have took that out, booted up, no problems. I am now looking on ebay to purchase some ram. Try an give it an upgrade if possible.

I just want to say thankyou to hamluis, abauw , computerxpds , CohenTheBarbarian, bluesjunior. I really appreciate all your help. :thumbsup: This is a great forum with really helpful people and quick responses. Thanks again.

#27 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

glad to hear your problem solved :flowers:
and thanks for letting us know that you solved that problem :thumbsup:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash: