Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home won't boot up, won't boot from cd rom, help!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hello All,

I have spent all day googling this and have come here because I have ran out of ideas.

It's a friends Advent t9 computer who is running xp home edition (dunno which sp)

The error on start up is black screen saying: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
System32/Drivers/isapnp.sys"
Although the file changes everytime I boot up, to pci.sys and another one I can't remember. Like it takes it in turn?!

So I have tried booting from xp home edition sp2 and sp3 iso... no luck. Also tried WUBCD and a couple of recovery consoles that I downloaded. All with no luck.

I have changed the bios settings so that cd rom loads up first but all that happens is it goes to blue screen and says setupdd.sys could not be loaded. Error 14 or 4 or 5, random numbers each time.

So I cannot boot from cd to try an fix any of these. Can't boot into safe mode.

Please help, I am really stuck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

<<So I have tried booting from xp home edition sp2 and sp3 iso..>>

You cannot boot XP in .iso format, you have to burn the .iso to CD, using a program appropriate for such burning.

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

The result is a bootable CD which contains the files, which can now be installed/run.

Louis

#3 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the quick replay hamluis, apologies I should have been clearer.

I downloaded xp iso and used magic iso to burn the iso to a dvd disc.

I also downloaded an nrg file an coverted it to iso and burnt to disc. These load fine on my workin pc btw.

All with no luck :S

Edited by MARKMAKAVELI, 08 August 2010 - 02:29 PM.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

hello...
do you have another cd/dvd drive???
if you have it...please give it a try....change your cd/dvd drive with another one...and see does your still have that problem or not...
I think your problem is cd/dvd drive...so give it a test with changing that drive...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

I downloaded xp iso and used magic iso to burn the iso to a dvd disc.

Where did you download the ISO from? Also yes if you have a separate drive then i would try that. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Thanks abauw & computerxpds.

I am trying the other drive now. My wubcd disc has got as far as the blue screen where it usually says

"setupdd.sys could not be loaded. Error 14 or 4 or 5", random numbers each time.

But it seems like tis froze on it, all it says is windows at the top and then at the bottom "setup is loading windows files". You know how it has full stops next to it that move to show it is loads well it is stuck on the 3rd one so it looks like this

"setup is loading windows files..."

Should I leave it for 5 mins or has it crashed/frozen?

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

You still have not answered my question yet: Where did you download the ISO from?

Also I would leave it for a few more minuets see what happens.

Edited by computerxpds, 08 August 2010 - 03:04 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

Sorry, I can't remember. It was a link on a forum. I've been on that many sites through google I can't remember which one. Sorry!

I left it longer an it still didn't do anythin, so I restarted and tried it twice. Got the same errors as before about setupdd.sys.

Would using darik's nuke allow me to wipe everything and then do a fresh install of xp?

Edited by MARKMAKAVELI, 08 August 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

Would using darik's nuke allow me to wipe everything and then do a fresh install of xp?

Yes but that would also wipe EVERYthing including all of his data, but I would make sure you can boot form a windows disc first. But i would make sure the owner of the computer wants all of his/her data erased. Also is the windows CD a legit CD? (why I asked where you downloaded it)
sigcomp.png 

#10 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

He is ok with me wiping it. No problem.

I managed to load up the WUBCD but could not run the tasks I needed. It only let me run things to check the memory etc. Not acutally start windows up or anything. Sorry for the rubbish terminology, I am working on 1 monitor so have to keep unplugging and switching around.

No the windows is a downloaded one that is bootable. I have used it before on my machine. I did own the original to my machine but it's disapearred along with all my other useful cd's it seems.

I'm not even sure which version of xp home edition it is, I have tried sp2 and 3 bootable discs. Could it be that the boot disc needs to be from Advent (the comp manufacturers) themselves? I read something like that about someone else's problem.

Also, I can't see, to actually boot from a cd anyway, I can get the menu loaded up but that seems to be it.

What step do you recommend I take next?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

<<No the windows is a downloaded one that is bootable.>>

I initially assumed that you were talking about .isos of SP2...and SP3...as individual downloads from Microsoft.

But it appears that you really are referring to illegal downloads of XP, as I see it.

Considering the possibility of malware in such downloads, that seems pretty foolish, IMO.

But the forum rules are pretty specific when it comes to rendering assistance with users of illegal versions of Windows. You might want to read those rules, since it seems that you haven't done such yet.

Discussion Forum Rules - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

Louis

#12 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

I thought that if you already own the original but have lost it or its damagef, that it is legal to download a version? Just like having a back up?

I would be using my own serial etc?!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Illegal copies of XP...generally don't require a license key...that's why they are described as "free"...the license mechanism is either circumvented or uses a key that is/will be on Microsoft's invalid key list.

It's the download...that is the illegal item, IMO.

If the download required users to employ their own keys to take advantage of the download...then you might have a slight piece of ground to stand on...as it is, you do not.

Louis

#14 MARKMAKAVELI

MARKMAKAVELI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

It had an iso an a text file with a serial in it but I deleted it because I can use my own genuine serial.

Pls can someone advise me what to do next?
Am in process or contacting advent to ge another copy of xp. Once I get this, what next?

Thanks for help so far. I'm studying networking so will be on here more often.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

I would run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive...before I expended any further effort on trying to overcome this.

Once the diagnostic points the way...attempt your install of the valid XP, using the disk obtained from the manufacturer...or any other legal copy of Genuine XP that corresponds to the license for the system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users