Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kevinroche

kevinroche

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

I'm using an Asus VX1 laptop, running Windows XP w/ Service Pack 3. When I try to start up, it seems to fail and then retry. It has the same issue when I try it in Safe Mode, and with the "last known good configuration". When I try to start the Recovery Console, I get a blue screen (contents below). I haven't installed any new hardware or software since the last time I successfully started and I can't try the suggestions below since I can't even use Safe Mode.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Contents of blue screen:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x89AF7850,0xC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Unmountable boot volume errors...are normally overcome by running the chkdsk /r command from the XP Recovery Console.

Do you have an XP CD? Is the Recovery Console installed on your laptop?

If not, you can search the Web and download an .iso of the XP Recovery Console.

Then...burn that to CD, using a program for burning .iso files to CD.

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Then...run the chkdsk /r command, following the instructions at How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk.

Louis

#3 kevinroche

kevinroche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

Thanks. I downloaded an .iso of the XP Recovery Console and burned it to a CD, then tried booting from the CD. After loading the files for a while, it briefly says Starting Windows and again I get a blue screen. This time it says:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF748E0BF,0xF78DA208,0xF78D9F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

If you have the XP installation CD you could try doing a repair installation. If you don't, see if a friend or your local repair facility has one that you can borrow. It will have to be the exact copy of your type of XP.

Because there is always a chance that data may be lost you should back up your important files and applications that you don't have installation discs for to a removable media.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

You may have hard drive problem.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users