Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3.5 HDD enclosures

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MumaSue

MumaSue

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

I have been gathering info on these and come across something that's worrying me.
I want to turn 1 or 2 HDDs into an external drive but before I do I would like some data from them.
After reading a review or 2 it seems some enclosures do not allow this process and want the disk formatted before anything else can be done.
Is this true, do some do this or do all do this? or did the reviewer have a faulty enclosure/HDD that required a format?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Are your hard drives SATA or E-IDE/PATA? Just curious before I offer an answer.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

it seems some enclosures do not allow this process and want the disk formatted before anything else can be done.

Not true, unless, as you say, there is something wrong with the drive and it's not readable.
Those enclosures come in 3 types, IDE, SATA, or IDE/SATA. The latter includes both type of cables.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

I have been gathering info on these and come across something that's worrying me.
I want to turn 1 or 2 HDDs into an external drive but before I do I would like some data from them.
After reading a review or 2 it seems some enclosures do not allow this process and want the disk formatted before anything else can be done.
Is this true, do some do this or do all do this? or did the reviewer have a faulty enclosure/HDD that required a format?

This is not true for an external USB/Firewire/eSATA enclosure. You can put any drive into them and they will read just as they would internally, except over a different interface. When I get a new drive that I intend to put into an external enclosure I will install it internally. I will then monitor SMART data for a week as well as run several diagnostics on it to ensure the drive is good. I will also start to copy significant portions of data to it. After that, if it passes all tests I will put it into an external enclosure. So far I have a pair of 1TB Samsung F2 drives, a 1.5TB Samsung F2 and a 2TB Samsung F3 that I have done this to. There's also an older 500GB Seagate that was PATA so I could no longer use it internally. I put that into an external USB enclosure, file system intact.

What would cause you to format the disk after installation would be a NAS. Every NAS uses either a Linux based OS or WHS - which to my knowledge needs to format the drive to properly assimilate it into the array. No Linux based NAS can write to NTFS volumes so it would need to format the drive with an ext(1-4) file system.

#5 MumaSue

MumaSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

The drives I have are a pair of 320G SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) - WDC WD3200AAJS-65VWA .....
One drive is possibly dead, had bad sectors and then could not be detected by my old pc.
The old pc is now dead due to someone taking off the heat sink and fan to the CPU and dusting it but I want to try and get the data from the HDDs and then possibly use the one that is working as a back up in the enclosure.

I read this on one of the reviews for this enclosure
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182144

However, the problem is that this device is only of use to BRAND NEW DRIVES.
That is to say if you put drives in it with data already on, the external enclosure will not read them, instead it will only offer you the option to format!

and was worried that I would not be able retrieve the data.
Thanks to your replies though it seems that I will be able to and once again I am a little more knowledgeable about the subject :thumbsup:
I so love this forum and those that help out.

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

That person had no idea what they were talking about. That's a standard USB enclosure and not a NAS. It just fits dual drives.

I read another review that said this...

Pros: Well built. Fairly cheap. Nice design. Has its own fan and power switch. love being able to use 1 USB port for 2 drives. i didnt have to format my old drives to put them in and the new one i did put it i could format seperately without any problems

That's the problem with a lot of NewEgg reviews. Take them all with a grain of salt.

#7 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

I have a similar problem. I have a computer, now dead, that ran Windows XP SP3 with 2 internal drives. While powered down, the motherboard was fried in a lightning storm. My latest backup is about a month old and there are some photos that I would like to retrieve.

So, I purchased an IDE/SATA to USB external drive enclosure so that I could recover the data from the drives.

First, I tried to mount the drive on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system and the device showed up on the device manager but would not access the drive. The system suggested formatting first.

Next, I connected the drive to my Windows XP SP3 laptop. Again, I have problems using the drive. The drive does not show up in the My Computer screen, but it is OK in the Device Manager disk drives list. The drive properties shows it should be working normally.

The drive I currently have in the enclosure is a Maxtor 6 IDE 250 GB drive.

I would appreciate any thoughts or helpful information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users