Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup problem related to graphics card and monitor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dragonalumni

dragonalumni

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

A couple days ago when I turned on my computer it would not load past the area where it gives information about cpu, memory, etc at the startup. It just hanged forever.

After a few tries I decided to remove my graphics card that I've had trouble with before and connected my monitor directly to the motherboard. At this point I was able to log into Windows normally.

I took my computer to a local computer shop, where I've been a customer before and the guy told me the graphic cards was indeed fubar. I bought an upgraded card and we plugged it into his equipment at his shop and the computer was working beautifully.

When I took it home however it stopped working. All I get with the new graphics card is a black screen with white flickers every few seconds and sometimes some beeps.

I consider this a very strange occurrence as it worked fine a few minutes before with his monitor. (both flat screens but different makes and sizes)

I removed the graphics card again and again my monitor works fine with my motherboard connection but not with the new graphics card.

This is so strange I don't even know where to begin.

Why would different monitors effect the ability of the graphics card to function. (It's an nvidia 1g galaxy card)!

Advice is most welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

Are you sure that the card is properly seated? It could have come lose in transit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users