Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

buzz/beeping pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chillywilly73

chillywilly73

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

OK here's the deal,
i boot up my PC,everything boots nice and all of a sudden my PC is booting slow.
on top of that when the PC finally boots everything i press Firefox/or explorer and i can hear a beep or buzz (not sure witch one)coming from inside my tower. i cant place where exactly its coming from but it is inside PC. a single buzz or beep then loads Firefox/explorer. also sometimes when i click a link it makes the same buzz sound and everything freezes for about 10 seconds then resumes load. i am completely dumbfounded by this problem and would like some info please.

my specs are:

Windows XP service pack 3
Intel Core-2 2.13 ghz
2 gig DDR2 Ram
ATI Radion HD 2400 PCI-Exp
2 40 gig HD's

Edited by hamluis, 08 August 2010 - 12:49 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

Could this be a clicking sound?

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

If this is a desktop there is an old trick you can try to locate the origin of the noise. Open the case and take a wooden or plastic long handled spoon, place the spoon end to your ear and place it on the hdd. If it's the hdd you will want to start backing up all of your important files right now.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 chillywilly73

chillywilly73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

Could this be a clicking sound?

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

i did mention i have a tower witch means i have a desktop.

and please serious posters only no smart remarks (wooden spoon :thumbsup: )

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:10 AM

I wasn't being smart, I'm entirely serious. The principal is the transmission of sound through a solid material. Transmission line low frequency enclosure utilize this principal.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 chillywilly73

chillywilly73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

isnt there some software i can use to check out this problem?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

If this is your hdd, and it is clicking you need to the back up now! This click is known as the click of death. The hdd could live for a while, but once they start clicking it results in a failure in a very short period of time. If you want to use software, try Memtest 86

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

Software is not going to detect where a sound is coming from.
Have you tried dc3's suggestion.
It will work.
I use an automotive stethoscope, that works on the same principal, as the wooden spoon.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 chillywilly73

chillywilly73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

no big deal if my hd fails it fails ill get new one. was just wondering what it was making sound.

#9 Klick8986

Klick8986

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

But is the sound truly coming from the HDD? If you don't hear a clicking sound when it boots, but only when accessing any type of networking(Internet, LAN, etc) it could be something entirely different. Just saying....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users