Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

side-by-side configuration is incorrect error on multiple programs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blazefielding

blazefielding

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

On quite a few different programs, i'm getting the error message:

"The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"

I've read so many forums online where people have had a similar issue, but nothing has been helpful. The most common suggestion is related to VisualC++ but when i installed it, I got the same error! I tried running it without saving, then I saved it and tried running it, again the same error.

I've opened the event viewer, theres quite a few 'sidebyside' error messages, but I dont know what to do with any of that information. The first side by side error is this one:

Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language="*",processorArchitecture="X86",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="6.0.0.0"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.50524.0\Silverlight.Configuration.exe

I havn't a clue how it started, my computer was fine yesterday, I opened it today to these errors, I tried rebooting but it didnt help.

If any more information is needed, I'll provide what I can.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

Follow the instructions here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 to install VisualC++

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

I had that happen to me recently on a program I installed while in safe mode. When I tried to open it in normal mode, I got that msg. I uninstalled it and re-installed in normal mode and it worked fine after that.

So you may try completely un-installing one of the suspect programs and try again.

#4 blazefielding

blazefielding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

I tried the instructions on the page and it didn't do anything.

Nothing has changed at all. I still cant install Visual C++

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users