Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Recommendations Buying a Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FusionX

FusionX

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

I need some recommendations buying a hard disk, I need it for backup, and transferring 100s of gbs of movies in my laptop. It should be an external hard disk portable enough, my budget is Rs. 4000 and the space should be near 500 gb or 1 tb like in Western Digital My Book Home Edition 1TB which is not so portable but ok. But i can increase it, if i get more space for a price near that amount.

Here's a link - http://www.naaptol.com/buy-online/WO-shopp...isk_drives.html
Is the first product - Western Digital My Book Home Edition 1TB - portable enough, i won't carry it while travelling but i'll use it in my home with my laptop. Or can i go for 500 gb light portable hard disk like - Seagate FreeAgent GO 500GB or Western Digital 500GB Passport . Or if there are other one's that better please recommend.
Look a sig....lame i know

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

The My Book is a NAS and therefore not intended for your purpose; it will back up your data just fine, but it is not meant to be carried frequently.

The Passport and FreeAgent GO are my recommendations.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 FusionX

FusionX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

What does NAS mean? Does it mean Not portable or no usb...not so portable is fine, but no usb sucks.... Can u please explain what NAS means? Also tell if Seagate 1TB Freeagent Desk can be a replacement for the My book.
I think my book home edition may work because, i'll not use it for travelling, just for home use with laptop, is it good enough for that?

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

Edited by tg1911, 08 August 2010 - 02:16 PM.

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

NAS means Network Attached Storage. It makes it easier to have multiple computers connect to the drive via a network.

The FreeAgent Desk can be used as a replacement for the My Book as far as storage goes. The My Book will work fine for home use with the laptop.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 FusionX

FusionX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:12 PM

So does it mean that Seagate is faster or WD is faster, It can be a little annoying asking a lot but actually i just want the BEST hard disk.

edit: Finally I have decided to buy Seagate FreeAgent. Thanks Mad Dawg

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

Edited by tg1911, 08 August 2010 - 02:17 PM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

FusionX,
When replying to a post, don't use the QUOTE button under the post, unless there is something specific in the post, that you want to quote.
Either use the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page, labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.
It keeps from cluttering up the board with unnecessary quotes. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 FusionX

FusionX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

oh ok, sorry. Thanks anyway!

edit : i'm still accepting suggestions!

Edited by FusionX, 09 August 2010 - 04:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users