Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

printer not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 topbrass

topbrass

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:42 AM

I have a problem with my printer,i.e. its not working.when I bring up the printer on the computer it
tells me I'm off line, To me it appears that the printer isnt getting any power to it, I have checked
the fuse in the plug, and the ribbon cable from the voltage regulater, both o.k. I would like to eliminate
the voltage regulater itself, Im getting a reading from the earth connection on the multi meter, but cant
get any reading from the 16v or32v pins. Could anyone give me some advice on how to run any other
checks on the regulater. The printer is an HP photo smart c4180 all in one, and any advice on checking
that would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Colin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I have some support information for you regarding your printer, I want to start you off with this before we figure out what is wrong and how we can resolve the problem.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/searchR...lc=en&cc=us

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...loc:0&cc=us

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualC...ct=1141647&

Please give me time to do some research and I will reply back to you, it is my hope that the support pages I have posted above may help you solve your problem.

I will try to find a service manual for you which may help you trace out a possible hardware issue within this printer.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

I just wanted to ask you, are you connecting this printer to the computer using the USB cable?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 topbrass

topbrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:43 AM

Hi Mr Bruce, please accept my apologies if you have already recieved this message, I may have messed up.(I really am a technophobe). Thank you for your reply, the answer to your second question is yes
the printer is connected to the computer via a usb cable. I have checked out the information you sent
and it confirms my suspicions that it is the voltage regulater that's at fault. Once again thank you
taking an interest in my problem.

Colin.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

First off you're welcome for my assistance.

Hopefully you can obtain another voltage regulator and get this device up and running again.

Good luck with the repair and hope all works out well for you. :thumbsup:

Kind regards as always.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users