Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop running Vista freezes, locks up, and a lot of Not responding

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bobby v

bobby v

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:25 AM

Been trying to help friend fix computer. has been running very slow constant lock up ands not respondings.

this is a dell inspiron 1545 running vista 32 bit- SP2
Speccy snapshot--- http://speccy.piriform.com/results/wx8ZkjyFHgKIvswhVHRqqti

WHAT I DID SO FAR:

Got rid of a lot of unneeded startup processes on msconfig, clean off any noticeable junk. tweaked performance settings (such as adjusting visual effects).
ran avg free in safe mode. found nothing infected.
ran malwarebytes in safe mode, found nothing infected.
ran spybot search and destroy in safe mode, found a few things, deleted all of them.
ran defrag/optimize with Auslogics Disk Defrag, completed.

ran hijack. saved log. did not do anything else with that.
ran DDS saved logs.
ran rkunhooker saved log.

Thanks much, i'll be looking for your reply

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

hi,,,, am i lead to believe that you now think this is not a security issue hence you posted here, (if you do think its a security issue you need to post in the correct forum.) take a look in event viewer for more info related to the crashes,, also post back any info or error codes, also take a look in task manager to see if there are any processes that are using up all the CPU, post those back too, also look in device manager for any yellow triangles and red X's and lastly look in reliability monitor for info,,, click on any red X's in there and post back the info. hopefully its just a dodgy driver. to find all these just type in to search box in start menu.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 bobby v

bobby v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

Thank you figgis for the timely reply.

First i went to device manager, noticed 2 yellow flags at ethernet controller and sm bus controller. took care of those. with the drivers on the dell website.

Next went to event viewer. here is where things get interesting.

Errors------

ever few minutes this one occurs and this is where there is noticeable hang time.
ATAPI event id 11.
(The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.)

also..
WMI event id 10
(Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.)

right after windows loads on startup there is an EventSystem 4621.
(The COM+ Event System could not remove the EventSystem.EventSubscription object {AA44355E-6911-4447-BA5D-6720480579AF}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The HRESULT was 80070005.)

Service control manager 7000
(The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.)

Nothing in task manager using up too much of the CPU

A few red X's under Reliability monitor

a couple of disruptive shutdowns. last one 8/4/10 and before that it was 4/11/10
application faliures --

McCHSvc.exe --- stopped working 6/27/10
AcroDist.exe --- stopped working 7/10/10 and 7/17/10 and 7/22/10
firefox.exe --- stopped working 7/19/10
Explorer.exe --- stopped responding 7/17/10

thanks again.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hello hope you don't mind me butting in.

I seen this error here
ATAPI event id 11.
(The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.)
What exactly is on IDE Port 0? Is this an optical drive or a hard drive?

This one appears to be the printer port

Service control manager 7000
(The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.)

Is there a printer connected to this computer?

Next error look at this link and scroll down to event # 4621 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...122(WS.10).aspx click the number and it brings you to this page below.

Event ID 4621 COM+ Event System General Functionality

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...362(WS.10).aspx

Perhaps we came upon a partial fix for all your errors for now, but lets not try too many fixes at one time, otherwise we may make matters worse or not know what fixed what, so be patient, we'll work on the rest shortly.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 August 2010 - 11:32 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 bobby v

bobby v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

Hello Mr Bruce thank you also for your time...

im going to sound like a 6 year old here. but how do i tell what is on an ide port on a dell laptop running vista?
There are 4 IDE channels under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers tab in device manager. and 1 intel ICH9M/M-E Family 4 port sata ahci controller 2929

there's no printer hooked up or even installed on the computer.

then on the last part Event ID 4621 COM+ Event System General Functionality
i went to the link and was following these instructions

To open Component Services and verify that the component's required properties are set:

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type comexp.msc, and then click OK. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
To locate your application, click Component Services, click Computers, click My Computer, and then click COM+ Applications.
Right-click the component name, and then click Properties.
In the component properties dialog box, click each tab to verify that the required properties are set.

until i got to the last part and didn't know how to tell what the REQUIRED properties are..

sorry i couldn't be more help.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

IDE port 0 would be the device that is on an IDE ribbon cable set as a master device. Of course you can find out by going to device manager and clicking on the properties of your disk drives.

You can also find out this information by going to system information, to which you can expand the hardware tab and you'll find the same information on which drive is IDE 0. it will tell you which port it is on.

Being that you have vista just type the word system information in the search box on the start menu and it will display it in a search result box for you that pops up, click the link to system information and your there.
Edit: the tab is components, click that and you'll see your disk drives in that list.

About your error with Event ID 4621 COM+ Event System General Functionality unless someone else helps you before I return tomorrow, I will check this thread and supply some instructions for you then. Because I would have to read through it and offer what I would recommend, for now it was just supplied to you as something to better understand what it is and what can be done.

But hang in there we'll get you through it. :huh:

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 August 2010 - 12:45 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 bobby v

bobby v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

aha yes ide port 0 is an ata disk which is a -toshiba Mk2555gsx ata device

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:51 AM

hi,,, my apologies for not answering as my wife is quite ill and is due an operation tomorrow, i see Bruce has got this one well on its way to being sorted, thank you Bruce,,
my apologies again to both of you and good luck.
regards,,,, Ian.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Hello I am back.

Before we start working on those event logs and their associated errors, lets look at a hardware issue first, it wouldn't hurt and may solve the issue easily.

I would like you to put aside my previous instructions for the moment and have you concentrate on the internal workings of the laptop for the moment.

If you could, to the best of your ability inspect your cooling fan for the processor and the heat sink to which it is attached for dust accumulation.

I read your previous posts regarding this laptop and saw that you cleaned the computer of un-needed software and scanned the computer for possible malware and Trojans.

If you need a guide to remove the laptop bottom cover to gain full access to the central processing unit (CPU) then please ask and I will provide you with a link to disassembly instructions for this laptop.

Once you have cleaned the laptop of any dust and cooling is at 100% and the computer continues to act up, we'll continue where we left off before.

I will await your reply with the results and offer further advice and instructions for you to follow.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 August 2010 - 11:32 AM.

#10 bobby v

bobby v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

okay i removed the Processor Heat Sink. cleaned of all visible dusk with a small brush vacuum attachment and a can of compressed air. after everything looked squeaky clean, i put it all back together.

still locking up. but good idea and i got some cat hair cleaned out ;)

also im noticing some new errors under administration events in event viewer. i will post them shortly

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

When you removed the heat sink from the processor and cleaned everything off, did you apply a bead of thermal transfer compound to the processor head before returning the heat sink?

If the answer is no I would recommend you purchase a tube of it and add a bead of it to the processor head before returning the heat sink assembly to where it was locked into place.

Bruce.

#12 bobby v

bobby v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

ah i have some of that. i will do that right now

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

ah i have some of that. i will do that right now

Good deal, please let me know if this made your situation a little better, it will for the most part help transfer the heat from the processor core into the heat sink more efficiently.

Bruce.

#14 bobby v

bobby v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

thanks. hmm startup may be a tad faster but still getting errors and programs locking up.

#15 bobby v

bobby v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:31 AM

i found this

It now appers to be a problem with the SATA controller on my motherboard. I switched my harddisk connection from SATA controller 0 to controller 1 and system is running ok.
So the event 11 atapi error:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

also occures when using bad SATA controllers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users