Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restores points missing?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 goom

goom

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:12 AM

not sure what happened here, but when i went to try and do a system restore, i noticed that there weren't any.

sure enough, system volume information didn't have any points. (with system files unhidden)

i'm absolutely positive that i didn't delete any, and my hard drive has plenty of space left, so that can't be the issue either. i've got my restore space set at 8 gig max.

C:\Windows\System32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\System32>

any suggestions? thanks. :huh:

-bit unrelated, but the reason that i tried a system restore was because i was trying to get rid of those ridiculous 'admin' shields over my icons.
i had previously decided to give uac another go, but went back the next day (with the shields left remaining).

(also, i have task scheduler making system restore points weekly on mondays, but that shouldn't be related, right?)
%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe /d srrstr.dll,ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation

Edited by goom, 08 August 2010 - 12:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

Have you tried:

programs/control panel/system/system protection/ (wait) click system restore box/next ?
Should have several dates listed. I had to try mine several times and wait for a few minutes while it checks for the information.

Other possibility related to scheduler:

Re: MIssing Restore Points ?
Thought I would toss in a update here as to what the issue was and how I fixed it. After trying all the ideas above, even trying to run the task in the scheduler manually and nowthing worked. Having 3 Vista systems at home (and this being the only one having a prob) I decided to delete the task on this one.

Now in the task scheduler you can export/import tasks, so after I deleted the one with the prob, I went to one my other systems, exported the task that makes the restore points, and imported that into this one.

Its now working, somehow the task schedule was corrupt.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion...ore-points.html

Edited by zbd, 08 August 2010 - 12:32 AM.

#3 goom

goom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:32 AM

there weren't any, i waited a few minutes.
i manually created one right afterwards, though.

oh and i have vista 32 SP1

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

hi,,, just a point as regards your service pack,,, any reason you have not installed sp2 yet ??
its always a good idea to keep the OS as up to date as possible for stability and security reasons.
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 08 August 2010 - 07:48 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 goom

goom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:00 AM

well, i heard there were some issues with SP2, but those might have been fixed a while ago.
i'll consider updating after i get this issue resolved.

thanks though.

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

well, i heard there were some issues with SP2, but those might have been fixed a while ago.
i'll consider updating after i get this issue resolved.

thanks though.

hi,,, when there are issues with a service pack they are usually sorted within days, otherwise Microsoft have half the planet on there case, i would give it some serious consideration or you may find your self back here sooner than you wanted.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 goom

goom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:02 AM

yeah, i'm getting the same issue again.
logged on again today, all system restore points gone.

are there any other suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users