Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Sound Issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 in cog

in cog

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hi..I was wondering if someone might be able to figure out this issue with Windows 7 please...I want to say it has to do with that because when i had XP..no problems. Prior to Windows 7, when I was on MSN messenger talking to my friends..when I played music, they could hear it along with my voice. Now, I could turn my music up to a deafening level and people on the other end still can't hear a thing. Does anyone know if there is a sound setting i can change to allow that to happen? It's not the microphone because it's brand new and they can hear any other external noise like trucks going by etc..or a knock at my door...but not my music. Any answer will be appreciated. Thanks much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

Interesting, the microphone has selective hearing! Sounds like most of the people I know. LOL

Are you sure the microphone does not have a noise canceling feature built into it?

There are some high quality microphones out there that do that.

Just out of curiosity what brand of microphone is it and the model number if you can supply that as well?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 August 2010 - 10:05 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

Just curios and to add to what Bruce wants to know, when playing the music are the other users able to hear anything other than the music, it could be windows is turning the mic off while the music is playing? Answer my question as well as Bruces. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 in cog

in cog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

Oh dear..now you've gone and asked a "guy" question..well...it was like 20 bucks @ Best Buy..definitely not high quality...brand is Dynex...(don't laugh) ...I don't see a model number but packaging says voice-certified.. Internet Voice Chat VoIP Sensitivity -53 dBV/ubar at 1KHz (is that like fubar)?? sorry..lame attempt at humor. It's what girls do when we are feeling stupid. It has no on/off switch which i didn't realize when I bought it so it's on all the time...very disturbing when playing music and having to keep volume level down or I get feedback from speakers. Thanks for replying but I'm sorry I can't give any more info than what i stated. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

As for the other reply...they are NOT able to hear the music coming through my speakers which the music fills the room...they can only hear my voice or ambulance going by etc..

This is link to the microphone http://tinyurl.com/36gn4g6 i used tiny url because the link was way long

Edited by in cog, 07 August 2010 - 10:25 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

The feedback is being caused by your having the speakers on and turned up, I suggest you click your speaker icon next to the windows clock and open your volume properties and volume controls and try making adjustments.

As for the feed back, it would be required that you plugged a headset into the speaker out jack instead of the speakers on the front of your computer and the speakers on the jack on the back, if it has this type of setup, if not you'll have to regulate your volume controls to avoid feedback or use the headset instead of the speakers.

I still can not figure out how a microphone can pick up noises from 200 feet away but not sounds other than voice from 1 foot away.

I would still venture into your volume controls and try experimenting with the sliders to see what happens.

Bruce.

EDIT: By the way I am reading the customer reviews on the link you posted above, someone mentioned MIC BOOST, does yours have that?

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 August 2010 - 10:32 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 in cog

in cog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:41 PM

I have right clicked on speaker icon and then "sounds" and then communications. There is options there to mute all other sounds..reduce by 50%....80%....and then "do nothing"..that is what i have checked. Believe me..it's a mystery to me too...they also can't hear any alert sounds of my computer through the mic as well. I knew what the feedback is being caused from but mic has no on/off switch to control..and i can't walk around with headphones on doing housework and stuff so i have to keep the playing of music relatively low to avoid feedback. I'm tempted to try another mic but i just bought this one. It's just annoying because if they ask me to play a song they want to hear, i can't and have to send the file through MSN for them to listen to it *Shrugs* Thanks once again...

No Mic Boost on microphone? or did u mean in settings...i had all my sounds and stuff down pat on XP..i have stereo mix checked but i play music for trivia over voice chat program and they hear the music through computer and not speakers...obviously..

Edited by in cog, 07 August 2010 - 10:45 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

I am not sure what the person writing the customer review meant by mic boost, you'll have to go to the link you posted and read down the list of customers and you'll see where they mentioned mic boost, I was thinking maybe it was a switch on the microphone.

Bruce.

#8 in cog

in cog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

Thanks again for replying...it's just a no frills kind of mic. No switches..not even an on/off switch...I see topic has been moved. I still feel it's a windows 7 issue...some setting i need to change but i just need to know what that is. I had no problem on XP..talked and played music simultaneously with XP and people could hear both voice and music at the same time. Oh well, I'll just chalk it up to another mystery in life..along with "Why do NBA coaches wear business suits at games"?? I came here hoping someone would know just the thing I needed to do. Thanks again and take care.

Edited by in cog, 08 August 2010 - 03:27 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

Okay wish I could have helped, but as best as I can direct you is to suggest you check what settings you had in Windows XP, but I realize that is not an option at this time.

Best of luck to you.

Bruce.

#10 in cog

in cog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

OK..thanks for trying =)

#11 in cog

in cog
  • Topic Starter