Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cherp

cherp

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone can help me? I had turned on my compter and was working on another project (not on the computer). It was just sitting there for maybe an hour when 2 errors came up (I think they were exception errors????). Unfortuneately, I didn't write them down. I closed the boxes and immediately my computer shut down on it's own. It rebooted to come back to a 'black screen' that says:

A problem with the hard drive has been detected. Consult the Troubleshooting section of your user's manual. Press the Enter key on the keyboard to continue.

When I press the enter key, it keeps passing the reboot part, back to this message.

At one point, it did go to the screen that gives the option for 'Safe Mode/s' and "Rebooting back to the last known good configuratioin". I tried the last known config.... and I'm back here again.

I then tried to use the F1 key to go to the bios. This took several attempts. However, I have determined the harddrive is recognized.

This is an old computer. I do not have a manual for this Gateway, windowx XP computer. There isn't too much more I know about it at the moment.

Is there anyone who might give me advice?

Thank you.

Cherp :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,760 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

sounds to me like your hard drive bit the dust, was it making any odd noises before hand? try running this tool and see if it helps.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 cherp

cherp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Hi:

Thank you for responding. I know this will sound silly.... how do I run anything when I can't get past my black screen? I am using another computer (directly beside it) that I can transfer via the flash or cd drives. I'll download the program on this computer first or to a flash drive.

By the way.... there were no noises.... just an alert that a problem occured.

Any ideas?

Cherp

PS I downloaded the software onto a CD to make a boot CD. I've tried to boot it.... it keeps recycling around the loop... I get white bars that go across the bottom of the screen before it comes back to the same message. Also, I don't know what to do in the bios... I'm afraid to try... can you help?

Edited by cherp, 07 August 2010 - 10:07 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

Can you please post the model number of this gateway computer?

As far as booting to a CD, you have to make sure you enter your BIOS setup utility amd make the cd or dvd drive the the first boot device in the BIOS BOOT menu.

Do you have any way of getting the brand name off of the hard drive? If so can you please post that?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 cherp

cherp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

Hi Bruce:

I sure appreciate the respose. This computer is an older computer that my Ex Hub had refurbished. I'm sure he upgraded the hard drive to a bigger one to handle XP.... the only way to tell is to take it apart... I don't think I'm up for that. The only reason I was worried is it has been a great back up computer for this one. I've already gotten all the information off it.... i guess I should have deleted most of the files. It would probably be better for me to be concerned with this computer.... which also has problems... make sure the hard drive does not fail... etc.

Thank you so much for your response. I don't want anyone wasting valuable time on something that should be retire.

Thank you.

Cherp

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

I have a program that should help you identify your hard ware with out opening your computer.

The program is called Speccy it is from piriform and is free download it from this link http://www.piriform.com/speccy

The program can be installed and once it is ran it will list all your hardware in the middle window, if you need further information on anything you click on the links in the Speccy window and it will give you detailed information about things like your CPU and your hard drives.

You will then know who your hard drive is made by and other information as well without opening your computer case.

Please post what information you get on your hard drives.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users