Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Graphics Card Freezes Computer Beeps No Idea!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 applejuice

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:44 PM

hi everyone, i'm writing here as a last resort, i seem to have tried everything but no joy. My graphics card has been locking up seconds into far cry and will totally freeze accompanied by a ongoing beep. it doesn't have a problem running regular functions like browsing and viewing movies (although it will occasionally lock up on them too) but seems to have a problem running 3d type stuff. I know from the card that it should be able to handle far cry on high with ease. it also has an appallingly low frame rate on 3dmark05 and won't even finish the first 400 frames before locking. It's a nvidia 6800 le (leadtek Winfast A400 le tdh). My spec is as follows:

Win XP Pro SP2
AMD Athlon 3000XP
1GB Corsair 2700 RAM
Nvidia 6800 le
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Maxtor 80GB HDD
ASUS A7V8X-MX Motherboard

I've got the latest drivers from nvidia, I've updated to the latest BIOS from ASUS, i've reinstalled several times, temperatures are all within reason. I've used rivatuner to unlock more pipelines and shaders but doesn't help. I simply cannot think what it could be that's causing the comp to crash. I think it must be a problem with the GFX card but i just dont know. the only thing i can think of is that the hard drive is quite full (about 55 of the 80GB taken up) but this shouldn't be a problem? does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Maybe a problem with the motherboard? The motherboard and the HDD have been there from the start (about 2 years) but the CPU, RAM and GFX card have all been upgraded so maybe a compatibility problem? Any help would be totally appreciated! many thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:24 PM

These problems are a bear to sort out - if you've got a spare video card, take the current one out and put the spare in to see if the problem continues.

Otherwise, here's the drill:
A) Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW to ensure that your system files are intact.
1) Visit Windows Update and get all available updates
2) Update your BIOS (which you've done already)
3) Update your VIA 4in1 drivers (I think they're called Hyperion now)
4) Update any other motherboard (but not integrated devices) drivers
5) Uninstall the nVidia drivers and use one of the following freeware tools to remove all traces of the drivers:

6) Reinstall the latest WHQL certified drivers (Microsoft certifies them to work with Windows)
7) Update your NIC/Modem, Audio, and any other integrated devices drivers
8) Update the rest of your drivers.

And, if all this fails - I'd suspect that the vid card is bad.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 applejuice

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:56 AM

tried all of those fixes and still crashes almost straight away. i tried it will my old gfx card (radeon 9200se)and had the same problem, but the old 9200 actually worked BETTER than the 6800le! i'll try getting a replacement card and if that one doesnt work then i know it's something else. i'm starting to think it may be the motherboard? thanks for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users