Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless router

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 riverbum

riverbum

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:15 PM

I have a wireless D-Link DI -514 with version B and it has a tendency to drop connection from time to time and I have found out it is a common problem with this version. Can anyone suggest a good wireless router that would be relativly simple to setup. I'd kinda like to get one that you could set it up so no one driving by the house can connect to my service. I buy a lot of my electronics from Best Buy and so far have had good luck with them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:44 AM

I use Linksys. Setup was as easy as falling down. WEP encryption and difficult password keeps out bad guys.
Linksys befw11s4

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:11 AM

I don't know... My brother brought his computer over to a friends house for a LAN using his friends Linksys router. When he came home, he said they could only play certain games for 60 seconds before the connection was interrupted. His friend said that that was a common problem for him. So, raw, do you know what could be the problem?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#4 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2004 - 04:57 PM

Raw I thought I'd give you an update on my router problem. My ISP furnished the D-link I'm now using and they just informed me they are going to replace it with a Netgear MR-814 and still no charge. I guess it still won't hurt to try that one out and see how it works out. If all else fails I can still get my own Linksys BEFW-11S4 like you mentioned. This is a new DSL program and the tech help is pretty bad so that really adds to the frustrations. Cable internet just came to town and I might look into that (maybe). It's owned by Mediacom and their TV service sucks. A friend of mine just hooked up to it today so I'm gonna keep an eye on it. We live in a town of 300 so we're kinda at their mercy, you know, like it or lump it.

#5 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:23 PM

Well I got my new router (Netgear MR-814) and it works great. No more dropped signals. But... now I can't talk back and forth with ZA on. (free version). It worked fine with the D-Link. Netgear says otherwise. Really strange but I'll keep working on it and if you have any suggestions I'm all ears. I've got the IP addresses in the approved zone which D-Link accepted but Netgear won't.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:57 PM

When you say you can talk back and forth, what do you mean?

#7 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:17 PM

My laptop is wireless and I could pull music and pictures from my desktop but now I have to shut ZA off on both PC's to get them. I never changed any settings on the ZA and it worked fine with the D-Link router but Netgear won't let me pull music or pictures from desktop.I might have to put something else in the trusted zone if I can figure out what that is.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:44 PM

You probably added your ip address range to the zone alarm trusted zone, and the new router is providing you with a different range.

Click on start, then run, type cmd and press ok

then type ipconfig and write down the ip address.

add that range, ie 192.168.1.0 to the truisted zone

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2004 - 07:12 PM

Like Grinler said, it sounds like Netgear is using a different IP range. I know Linsys uses 192.168.1.0/255 (or you can start it at a specific range)
and Belkin uses 192.168.2.0/255 (although it gave out 192.168.2.37 and 38 to the 2 computers i connected to it)

HuckerJ - I don't know,I'm currently battling a wireless problem with the Linksys myself. See my other post in this thread.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#10 Xemus

Xemus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:33 PM

Netgear routers use 192.168.0.1/24 subnets - by default.

#11 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2004 - 03:01 PM

I got the IP numbers figured out and everything is working fine except for one little glitch. I upgraded to the new version of ZA free 5.0.590. Now I have trouble opening up some websites until I shut ZA off. I turn it back on and go on my merry way until I can't get something else to open then I shut it off again. I don't suppose the firewall in my router is enough so I'm thinking about uninstalling ZA and trying Sygate. I have the up graded version of ZA on both PCs and the problem is the same on both. Seems like you get one problem corrected on ZA and another one pops up.

#12 Xemus

Xemus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:50 PM

Which websites is it blocking? Do you have it set to notify you when it blocks something, or just to default to No?

#13 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2004 - 12:51 PM

For instance if I'm in Yahoo and want to read a Reuters News headline it will open it and then maybe the next headline it won't open. I done a Googles search on ZA 5.0.590 and found out ZA is having a problem with it so I removed it. It was suggested to install ZA 4.5.594 to replace it but as of yet I haven't done it. Kinda thinking about Sygate, not sure yet. This thing is running a lot faster without ZA in it. Ooh, by the way, I have the notification set to no. When I had it set to yes it didn't say anything about blocking a website. I think this version of ZA just slowed my PC down.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:21 PM

Yah, as you said there have been a lot of reported problems with the new update.

#15 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:54 AM

Well gentlemen, I removed ZA 5 and installed Sygate Personal Firewall and what a difference. Everything works as it's supposed to. I installed Sygate in both PCs and it works fine. Seems like a lot less hassle setting things up but I need to do a little more reading on Sygate to get the full benefit out of it. Really like it so far and if I get stuck I'll give a holler. Thanks a bunch for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users