Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition for only OS worth it?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cybergrrl

cybergrrl

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

I just finished building a PC with 2 hard drives - one is 250GB, the other 500GB
Right now, the 250GB drive has a primary partition of 30GB and the rest is an extended partition
The 500GB drive has a primary partition of 365GB and the rest is unallocated.

My plan was to use the 250GB drive with the OS (XP) on a partition by itself (the 30GB one) and programs in a partition by themselves (the rest of the drive) but sometimes when installing a program, it doesn't give me the option to identify where I want it installed and it defaults to the OS partition. I wanted to keep the OS separate so when I upgrade in the future, I don't have to reinstall all my programs. However, it seems to be a difficult if not impossible task to keep them separated.

Should I just go ahead and put the OS and programs on the same partition?

The other drive would be partitioned for data, backups and/or images, and page file. (hmmm, maybe I should put the backups on that first drive)

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

Hello...
I think 250 GB for your OS and installed program and 500GB only for your data will good idea :thumbsup:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

A 30GB partition should be more than larege enough for Windows, updates, and programs installed.

Louis

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

Louis (heh, that's my middle name), Windows 7 x64 requires 20GB for installation alone. Add some games in there and that's very limiting. :thumbsup:

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

if you can install the games on another partition, 30 gigs is more then enough. However, like stated, not all games (though most do) allow you to choose destination path. Using one small partition for the OS is actually a pretty common practice, though I think I would probably make the base partition somewhere between 50-75 gigs just to be on the safe side, for those few games and programs that wont install to another partition for whatever reason

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

(In response to JonM)

Yes, I know that...I have Win 7 64-bit on my laptop. My Win 7 partitions are 50GB.

<<My plan was to use the 250GB drive with the OS (XP)...>>>

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 August 2010 - 08:19 PM.

#7 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

My fault then, Windows XP is a lot smaller of an install. :thumbsup:

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

250 GB for windows, installed program and GAMES is good enough...not the best but good enough...
5 GB for windows...
20 GB for installed program...
150 GB for games :thumbsup:
rest of free spase....for games update / patch :flowers:
but this only if you play games...if not ignored this...

for the future...the idea to use different hardrive for program and data is good idea if you need to learning about something on computer...maybe video editing, data recovery, audio, etc...
and please remember...there will an update of your program...and its mean an extra space must give to that update...so why you bother thinking about too large free space...that large free space will be a tiny free space...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#9 cybergrrl

cybergrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Knowing the amount of space needed for XP AND Windows 7 is helpful too because it won't be long before I'll want to upgrade to Win7 so I'll want the partition large enough for that eventually.

This is my business computer so no (serious) games :thumbsup: .

Oh, I forgot, if I put whatever programs I can into another partition, does that mean I'll have a program files directory on both partitions (one on the OS partition for those that automatically install to that partition and one on the extended partition for those I can manually select a location for)?

Edited by cybergrrl, 08 August 2010 - 12:30 AM.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

FYI: If your OS partition fails or you re-install the OS you will still need to re-install the games. Why? Because when you install a program it writes values to the windows registry telling the computer where the files are that are needed to run the program when you re-install windows (unless you do a repair install) it erases the registry. You can keep your install shells and saved game files on a separate partition that way you can re-install the programs when windows is fixed.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 cybergrrl

cybergrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

So you're saying, I'm going to have to re-install the programs anyway - from the download or disk or whatever - to get the registry updated from a crash or a new OS.

I was thinking if I had my programs elsewhere, when I wanted to move to Win7, all I'd have to do is install it on the OS partition and just pick up where I left off without more work. Not so, huh?

#12 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

So you're saying, I'm going to have to re-install the programs anyway - from the download or disk or whatever - to get the registry updated from a crash or a new OS.

I was thinking if I had my programs elsewhere, when I wanted to move to Win7, all I'd have to do is install it on the OS partition and just pick up where I left off without more work. Not so, huh?

Yes and no.
Some games/apps just update the registry when you execute, so they do not need to be reinstalled.
Sometimes they require a fresh install.

I would definately recommend a separate partition for your os in any case, because if nothing else, it saves you the trouble of backing up your data, since you just keep it on a separate partition. That's obviously on a single drive setup.
Furthermore I would recommend a format with a clean install of your os and then it's nice to just have to do that on a small drive.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

Basically...programs do not work without the registry.

The registry is part of Windows.

If you have to reinstall Windows and are unable to reinstall those same registry values...your programs on a separate partition will not work and you will have to reinstall them in order for them to function.

I don't know anything about games.

Louis

#14 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

Basically...programs do not work without the registry.

The registry is part of Windows.

If you have to reinstall Windows and are unable to reinstall those same registry values...your programs on a separate partition will not work and you will have to reinstall them in order for them to function.

I don't know anything about games.

Louis

Is it because I'm danish, that I'm not taken seriously?
Trust me I've done it a million times, those entries will often be imported upon execution of both games as well as other software and so no a reinstall might not be nessasary.
You are right off course the registry is gone. That's another issue entirely.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

<<Is it because I'm danish, that I'm not taken seriously?>>

LOL...I think you are being taken seriously.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users