Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE/SATA to USB cables or HD enclosure?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MumaSue

MumaSue

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

Which way is the better/more stable method of transferring data from a SATA HD to a new PC??

USB 2.0 to SATA IDE 2.5"" 3.5"" Hard Drive HDD Converter Cable
or
3.5 sata hard drive enclosure

From what I can gather the enclosure would allow the HD some portability

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

Here's my suggestion:
The 3.5 sata hard drive enclosure

Why? Because the purpose of using such an enclosure is: 1, because its convenient and 2, a safer/better way to avoid any possible drive damage during transit.

That's just my personal opinion.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MumaSue

MumaSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

Thank you :thumbsup:
It seemed the safest to me but I know diddly squat about either.
Will even be able to format and back up once I have the data I want.

Now comes another question ....
Which brand of external enclosure would you suggest?
Been hunting around and discovered that cheap is NOT advised because of possible circuit problems and fried HDDs.
Aluminum is better than plastic with a fan.
Newegg seems to have 2 brands that are more popular than others: Vantec and Rosewill also heard that Macally is good as well.
Sticking around the $30-40 mark and found lots so feeling a bit lost still :flowers:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

I can understand your being a bit lost..so much to choose from.

I am providing a few suggestions from newegg, but it is entirely up to you what you decide on.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817173043
Here is a description from this link.
Need more space? Is your new hard disk burning up in your old enclosure? Try the brand new Rosewill RX-358-S! Designed for extra ventilation and enhanced cooling for years of use, it has an 80mm side fan. Air is brought in through the side and directed out the rear, for direct cooling of your drive. You don't have to worry about overheating your hard disk anymore.

Using either USB or eSATA cable, an extra 3.5" SATA hard drive (up to 2TB) can connect to your PC without opening the case. The RX-358-S is hot swappable, so it can be connected or moved without shutting down the computer. With your eSATA connection, you can see transport speeds up to 3Gb/s! Speed your transfers and lengthen your drive's life with Rosewill!

Tell me what you think of this one.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MumaSue

MumaSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

The one you linked is one I put on a list, mainly due to its rating and number of reviews.
I like the fact its aluminum [lol this Brit still finds it funny to say aluminum instead of aluminium] and it had a fan for more cooling.

Edited by MumaSue, 09 August 2010 - 06:43 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

That's what I liked about it as well.
The fact that is aluminum and the cooling fan, believe it or not I have a chassis cooling fan in my desktop tower blowing right in on my hard drives.
Trust me when I say hard drives can fail from over heating like any other piece of hardware that is in motion as much as hard drives are.

Bruce.

#7 MumaSue

MumaSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:04 AM

Just to let you know I bought the one you suggested [was my fav] and at this min I am transferring data from my old HDD ..... and guess what. Its reading and transferring from the drive that the old PC could not detect :thumbsup: ...... I am one very happy bunny and want to thank you for all your help :flowers:

Edited by MumaSue, 20 August 2010 - 02:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users