Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to stay "clean" from Malware/spyware/etc.?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

I have been plagued with the dreaded "videocop" website redirect, "problem loading page" issues, & a few other things I have noticed. I downloaded stopzilla & it found 67 malicious files, & deleted some of them, but told me I had to purchase the software if I wanted to get rid of them all...

I didn't want to make the purchase (can't afford to really, in this economy)

I was thinking of reformatting to start off clean, but at that point, what do I do? The pc will just end up getting re-infected...

What are my best options on getting clean/staying clean? I am looking for free programs, if at all possible.

Currently I am using Avast/Spybot/Malwarebytes. I am not that well versed on indepth security; I know OF combofix, hijackthis, and some others, but my understanding is that they are powerful tools that can cause damage in the wrong hands, & that is my hands, lol!

I have read through some of the Spyware/Malware threads, but find myself getting buried very quickly in individual issues that don't seem to pertain to my situation.

Bad part of it is, I do banking and other sensitive transactions on this computer, so I need to be very sure I am secure.

So, that's it...

What do you security guys suggest at this point?

Thanks very much,
cpumelter :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Oseyerus13

Oseyerus13

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

Try SUPERAntiSpyware as well. It's very good at removing things some others, like Spybot, have missed, or so I've found from past experience. There's the free version that only runs on-demand scans, but you can purchase it for $30 to have real-time protection as well.

#3 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

Try SUPERAntiSpyware as well. It's very good at removing things some others, like Spybot, have missed, or so I've found from past experience. There's the free version that only runs on-demand scans, but you can purchase it for $30 to have real-time protection as well.

Thanks - I have been using SUPERAntiSpyware and most of the other free ones. It is amazing that after a few days of surfing, the pc is again loaded up with spyware...

Also get that "videocop" redirect and "problem loading page"...nothing seems to remove that.

I have been running the Linux live cd when I need to do sensitive stuff as a precaution. I have used linux in the past, I may find myself going back to it for the security aspect.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hello cpumelter,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Rick OBanion

Rick OBanion

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

Just went through this with and it was in the router! See solution here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/337383/firefox-redirects-hang-on-analytics-and-other-woes/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users