Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UPS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 datastrain

datastrain

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

first
can someone tell me the difference between "Full Load Run Time" and "Batter Run Time"?
for example: specs on this TrippleLite 1000VA
  • Full Load Run Time: 4 minutes
  • Half Load Run Time: 14.1 minutes
  • Battery Run Time: 1-30 Min

second
The review of this Tripp Lite 1000VA is interesting (at bottom of page)

Works but case gets very hot. According to Tripp, unit uses about 1A of power in standby mode. Since the batteries are charged most of the time, the power is coverted to heat. The case gets very warm and in since I have mine in an entertainment cabinet, it just because a 120 watt heating element. I have several UPS units and this is the only one which gets hot. Its a poor design to waste 120 watts of power 24/7. It only takes a couple watts to trickle charge the batteries. Tripp offered to replace it but stated the new one would have the same issue. I would not have purchased this if I knew it put out 100 plus watts of heat 24/7.

i don't want to buy a UPS that does this; how do you know if your UPS does this or not? is there a specific spec to look for?

third
can you recommend a unit? i need it for 455W but would like to get a high up-time (20 - 30 min minimum):

my comp: 305W
dual monitors 100W total
usb drives 50W total

cheers

Edited by datastrain, 07 August 2010 - 03:47 PM.

a million monkeys using windows will eventually produce all possible error messages... eventually...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

A UPS battery backup is designed purely so that you can safely power down your PC during a power outage. It is not designed to be a laptop battery and keep your PC on for extended periods of time. They typically come with software so that you can safely power down the PC even if you are not around. Asking for a 20-30 minute up-time is a bit much. You'll generally kill your UPS battery quicker if you do that.

No, a UPS battery backup should not get hot. My APC Back-UPS ES 725VA is room temp to the touch. I've had it for 5 years and it still works. That's 3 years past it's manufacturer warranty expiration. The reason is because it functions purely so that I can safely power my rig down in event of a power failure. It has lasted me through countless thunderstorms and even a few tropical storms in Florida. I do not use it to keep my PC powered on as long as possible.

So my vote now and will always be for APC. Solid and reliable products from them.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:31 AM

I agree with JonM33.
A UPS is not meant to run your computer, for an extended period of time, but to give you enough time to safely close all running applications, and power down in case of a power outage.

It also serves well, if you live in an area like I do, where we get continuous "bumps" (momentary power outages).
It's not unusual to get 3-5 bumps a day, where I live.
They're not long enough to have to close apps, and power down (2-5 seconds), but long enough that without the UPS, I would lose work due to an abrupt computer shutdown.

I also agree with the APC recommendation.
I've been using my APC Back-UPS ES 750VA since mid '06, and haven't had any problems with it.
Stays at room temp, and gets tested, daily. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 datastrain

datastrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

JonM33, tg1911 - thanks for replies (i guess my email notification is not working; i didn't know you guys replied)

i'll go with APC. they do get a lot of good reviews on product (not so much on support though).
understood about not using a UPS as a power supply; however... i am trying to get about 10-15 minutes to 'finish my thoughts' and shut everything down properly (usually a lot running).

3 questions:
1. i'm still unsure of the factual difference between "Full Run Time" and "Battery Run Time".

2. i assumed using the higher wattage / VA UPS would give me that extra few minutes of run time i'm looking for; these 2 stats say otherwise. why?
650VA 390 Wat - 4.2 and 15.4 minute "full" and "half" load run time, respectively.
1500VA 865 Wat - 5.3 and 16 minute "full" and "half" load respectively

3. i do want to bench mark the one i eventually get. will fully draining the UPS during that benchmark seriously degrade the unit (or just a bit)? (i only have about 6 power outages a year.)

Edited by datastrain, 18 August 2010 - 05:56 PM.

a million monkeys using windows will eventually produce all possible error messages... eventually...

#5 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

Finishing your thoughts can be saving the file and shutting the computer down. Really, a UPS can be expensive (as you priced out) so the last thing you want to do is wear out the battery in it.

I'm not sure of the meaning differences from Tripplite. Basically you will use up the battery quicker if you are under heavy load (such as gaming). The 1500VA will indeed last longer but again, I wouldn't go using it for those means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users