Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys router cannot connect to HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

I have a Linksys WRT54gs, V7.2. I am trying to connect a small HP laptop to it. Both systems are running Vista Home Premium. The techs at Linksys helped me setup all the config. They claim that the wireless adapter or something in the computer is blocking the connection. When I click on the account I set up, it does recognize it but still won't connect after I input my wep key 1. I then took the laptop to another location that had wireless and it recognized the connection immediately and connected. Anybody got a clue??? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LeveledHead

LeveledHead

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

I would hard-reset the router, clear the saved networks on your computer, and see if it can connect to the unsecured network at that point.

hard-reset = holding down the reset button on the back of the router for 10 full seconds.

to clear saved wireless networks in vista: control panel > (classic) > network and sharing > manage wireless networks > clear the list with minus sign in the middle of the screen.

==========

If that works, setup security on the router again, while changing the name of the network, then try connecting to the new network name. if you can't, try a different kind of security.

If the pc wasn't able to connect to the unsecured network, return the router and get a different one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users