Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just reformatted PC, need basic help connecting to the internet again.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sheeno

Sheeno

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

Hello everyone. I'm not particularly good with computers, and so I've got a question for you. I don't know much jargon, so I'm going to have to use some round-about phrases to detail it I'm afraid. So, here we go:

We have two computers: the one I'm posting on now and the one which has a problem. This computer is fine and in order, and it's the "main" computer. I mean, when you look under Network Connections, this is the one which seems to rely on the LAN for internet - the other computer used to rely on the Wireless Network Connection.

Now, the other computer was running horrifically slow. It was disorganised, unresponsive and I didn't like the way it had been partitioned at all. A few days ago I was getting particularly stressed out with it, and in a moment of slightly drunken frustration I thought "screw it, I'm reformatting this". So, I got my Windows XP disc, and reformat the *censored* out of it I did.

Now, I slightly regret this decision. The problem is, I have no idea how to reconnect it to the internet! I've tried everything I can (which isn't much) under Network Connections, but it all seems to be geared towards setting up a wireless network - I just want to connect to this existing one.

The router we use is a Netgear DG834PN, by the way. All I want to do is have an icon in Network Connections that corresponds to the wireless network - all I have at the moment on that computer is one that says 1394 (I think), which seems to be connected and firewalled but apparently does sod all in terms of accessing the internet. I've tried inserting the CD that came with the router, but that also seemed to be all about creating a wireless network and nothing I did on it seemed to help the situation.

From what I've read on the internet, inserting a USB-stick-esque-thingy that comes with the router makes the Wireless Network Connection appear under Network Connections. I've seen some of my friends use this set-up. Sadly, we have no such item, so I'm assuming our router just doesn't use one. This means that this whole paragraph contains no useful information and isn't really worth reading, but I felt it necessary to mention anyway.

Either way, I've rambled somewhat. Can anybody offer any assistance? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I installed drivers so that I now have two LAN connections under Network Connections, but I STILL can't get Wireless Network to appear. Any help?

Edited by Sheeno, 07 August 2010 - 05:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

You where headed in the right direction. Instead of LAN drivers, look for and install WLAN drivers.

#3 Sheeno

Sheeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the help. Now, my LAN drivers came with a CD I found, but it didn't have any WLAN drivers. I had a quick look on the internet, but I was slightly overwhelmed. How will I know which WLAN driver to download? And I guess I'll have to download it to this computer, stick it on a CD or floppy then access the files on my other PC?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

What's the computer make and model?
What kind of disk did you use to reinstall Windows, recovery CD, or a straight Windows XP CD?

Edited by Broni, 07 August 2010 - 10:29 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Sheeno

Sheeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

My computer doesn't have a model, because it was custom built. I can get a dxdiag list for you if you like? I used a straight Windows XP Service Pack 2 disc, by the way.

Also, I checked Device Manager, and I only had three network adapters listed: the two LAN connections and this 1394 one that's been there since the beginning. If I needed WLAN drivers, wouldn't there be a wireless network adapter in that list with a yellow exclamation mark by it?

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

Is the adapter internal or USB?

#7 Sheeno

Sheeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

Internal, I think, as I never needed anything in my USB socket to access the internet before I reformatted. But, why doesn't it appear under device manager?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

My computer doesn't have a model, because it was custom built.

Where did you get all needed drivers from, after reinstall?
Did you install chipset driver?

Download System Information for Windows: http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html to your Desktop.
Get SIW Standalone (English-Only).
Double click on siw.exe to run the program.
Go File>Create Report File>HTML
Save the file to known location.
Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

Edited by Broni, 08 August 2010 - 10:51 AM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users