Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antispy Brain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ken2024

ken2024

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

I have a virus/spyware called antispybrain that basically tells me at every file is infected and tries to make me purchase antivir software. I'm pretty sure that it's just an exe file that runs on boot but I'm having trouble finding it on my vista machine. I did a google search but all the results look shady also so I haven't followed the directions in them. Anyone else seen this program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tpscruiser

tpscruiser

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

Looks like I got it about an hour ago on my XP machine. Can't go anywhere online without a message the xxx.exe file is infected. (xxx being whatever program I tried to start) Can't start my Ad-Aware,Spybot or AVG programs from the start button or desktop. My 3 PM daily AVG scan appeared to start and run and finished but didn't fix anything.
I appear to be dead in the water. anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

#3 ken2024

ken2024
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

Looks like I got it about an hour ago on my XP machine. Can't go anywhere online without a message the xxx.exe file is infected. (xxx being whatever program I tried to start) Can't start my Ad-Aware,Spybot or AVG programs from the start button or desktop. My 3 PM daily AVG scan appeared to start and run and finished but didn't fix anything.
I appear to be dead in the water. anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

I might have gotten rid of it but I'm not sure. I restarted my computer and before it finished loading all the startup stuff I opened up task manager. I found the process and stopped it. I don't remember it's name but its a process with a random bunch of letters. Once stopped you should be able to run your programs. However, none of mine found it or fixed it.

Another thing it did was something to the proxy. I couldnt connect online so I had to go into each browser and turn off the proxy.

I have rebooted my computer a bunch of times after and it hasn't seemed to come up anymore. But I never deleted any files so I think it's still on here somehow.

Edited by ken2024, 07 August 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#4 tpscruiser

tpscruiser

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

Okay, I appear to be up and running again also. What I did was... there was a message that appeared to be from my AVG program indicating the infected file was "uxkiqryls\eevtugdtssd.exe" I did a search on my PC and it turned up a folder "uxkiqryls" and 3 files in it "eevtugdtssd..." with various extentions on them. I deleated the 3 files but it wouldn't let me delete the "uxkiqryls" folder so I renamed the folder by adding "old" to the end of it. Rebooted the PC and before I tried to connect to the internet, I opened my AVG and it opened AND connected to the internet for an update. ran the AVG but found nothing. Did the same with Ad-Aware and Spybot. They both opened, updated and ran without finding anything major. After I ran the virus and malware programs I tried to connect to my ISP, no luck BUT no messages about threats or buying an anti-virus program from antivi Pro or antispy.com.
I went and did a System Restore. the first date offered was today but I wasn't going there since today is when the problems started. The nex restore date offered was July 31 when I made some changes to my MS Office, so I went with that date. After the restore all seems fine as I am doing this reply for my XP PC.
Hope our problems are gone and I still have no idea how or where they came from because I had not received or opened any strange emails or gone to any new web sites.

Best of luck.

Edited by tpscruiser, 07 August 2010 - 07:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users