Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp auto logoff after login

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ttrav13

ttrav13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

I finally repaired the problem, I think, and am able to login to my computer. I replaced the userinit.exe file. Now apparently my desktop has changed and most of my programs and ICONS are gone. In msconfig my startup used to be "selective". now it's "normal" only and cannot be changed. Tell me I didn't erase most of my programs and this is just a start up problem. robin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

I believe when you changed your userinit.exe file you changed your account from administrator to a guest account or an account with no administrator permissions and you do not have permission to access the things you could before.

You should go to user accounts and see if you are still the administrator, if not, then you have to make the necessary changes to change your account.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 August 2010 - 04:19 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ttrav13

ttrav13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

I checked my user account and it has me listed as administrator. Here is what I originally did on my dell inspiron 6000 with xp home edition:

I took my installation cd, and ran the restoration console, logged in as administrator.

Then used d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32\.

It was supposed to take the file userinit.ex from the cd to the system 32 folder and make my computer run. I restared my computer and NOW i can log in. with one major setback- many system files, and other installed files are pretty much wiped out. My personal folder, and items in "my documents" (which are pretty important) are gone. i tried system restore, but all those are wiped out except for right now (all old restore dates are gone). Also tried expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32\. Asked to overwrite and I selected yes, same thing. Misc program/files still gone. like the computer is coming out of the factory. I'm stumped.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

Where did you find...instructions for using this "restoration console"?

Louis

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

Besides those files being where'd you expect them, have you tried searching your hard drive to see if they are still there on the drive?

As you know if you have two accounts on one computer, each account will have different settings for desktop short cuts and such, which is why Windows allows multible accounts on one computer.

You should try to think of a name for one of your images/photos, lets say you had one called MrBruce.jpg and see if it is found by searching the hard drive.

Its worth a shot.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users