Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building own computer......

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Slade-

Slade-

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

im getting ready to start building my own pc and doing so i ran into a few questions.
Im going to be buying my mother board from asus and other parts from other companies.
My concern is if i ran a asus motherboard and a seagate harddrive also a NVIDIA Quadro4 graphic card. Is all this compatible with each other?
I dont want to buy everything and some of it not work because the motherboard isnt compatible with ea other.
Does the CPU (Processor) matter as well?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slade-

Slade-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

Wow... so many views and no answers. Lame forum.

Edited by Slade-, 07 August 2010 - 12:21 PM.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

To your questions above, it would be easier if we knew what Asus motherboard you had your eye on, then a suitable answer can be given.

The type of processor you'd need depends on what motherboard you plan on purchasing. In other words, not all processors will fit all motherboards, plus you have both AMD and Intel brand processors which use different form factors.

The same goes with video cards, there are currently several types of video cards out there, on-board (built into motherboard) PCI, PCI-E, PCI-EX16 and AGP

If your hard drive is SATA or SATA II there's a chance your hard drive will work with a newer motherboard, but make sure it supports SATA II if you don't want problems in the future with not getting the data flow speed the device is intended to give.

Make sure you consider the type of RAM you will need and that the motherboard supports it.

You really want to keep the thought in mind to purchase everything which supports the 64 Bit technology.

Windows 7 comes with a 64 Bit installation disk and Windows 8 definitely will be 64 bit technology, so its better to plan ahead and be ready, because I seriously do not think Windows 8 will work on older 32 bit only machines.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Wow... so many views and no answers. Lame forum.

Don't think that the "Page Views" count to members actually looking at your post. There are guests and search engine bots that help contribute to the page views.

2147 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
2071 guests, 74 members, 2 anonymous members

To answer your question, brands have nothing to do with compatibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users